Friday, August 23, 2013

Why I’m Enthralled with Mah Jongg


Why I’m Enthralled with Mah Jongg

Years ago , a relative gave my dad a cd with games on it for his computer. Once installed, I took a look and discovered Shanghai Second Dynasty by Activision. I played several rounds of a match game which features mah jongg tiles. The layout, level of hardness, tiles, and more could be changed. If successfully completed, a Chinese saying appeared.

I was hooked! I played and played until I got my own computer. And when I searched for an upgrade, there was none. A very sad day.
 
 

Then I found a simple one which was probably best in the long run. I no longer had the time as my writing had literally overtaken my any spare time.

Until…  I made a new friend in Jazzercise. She asked several of us if we would be interested in learning how to play Mah jongg. Seems the game I'd been playing was nothing like the real thing.

The real game is played with real tiles. They are shuffled and "walls" are created. The dealer passes the four of us thirteen tiles. We set them on the racks and using the "Official Standard Hands and Rules" created by the National Mah Jongg League, Inc., we create hands. It sorta resembles rummy.

Our group does use futures, which adds a great dimension to winning. However, I'm told pros shun futures.

Once a hand is collected, a player can declare "Mah Jongg," and the other three pay up, in our case a quarter or two.

Why am I enthralled with Mah Jongg? First, I love being with this group and sharing with them. Second, playing has to be good for my head. And don't we need that nowadays?


 

Confess. What games are you addicted to? I know there's all that Farmville, Candy Crush, Spyder, etc out there.

 

With diet Coke in hand, Vicki Batman plays Mah Jongg every week and usually wins one hand, maybe two, occasionally three. Find her at: http://vickibatman.blogspot.com Or at: http://plottingprincesses.blogspot.com  . Her latest short story set in the loverly city of San Diego, "San Diego or Bust,"and is available at: http://bookShow.me/B00BXNNO2Y .

9 comments:

Melissa Keir said...

I love the computer Mah Jongg games. I also am addicted to Solitaire when I'm trying to write. It allows me to turn off my brain and just do something else.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Melissa! that's why I play mah jongg too--to turn off the brain. And I love the personal challenge. Now, you have to find 3 friends and play the real thing. After five games, brain dead. hugs

Sylvia said...

Hi Vicki,
I love games. I love to play cards, dominoes, you name it. I'm a Candy Crush addict and I play Mah Jong on the AARP website. It's quick and easy and frankly, it' gives my brain a different stimulation, which is usually what I'm looking for.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

I didn't know you play Mah jongg, Sylvia. I agree with you and Melissa about the stimulation. BTW, AARP? Aren't you kinda young for that? ox

Marian Lanouette said...

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY where people sit out all year long playing this game. My mother loved it. I never got it. Hardheaded I guess or maybe at fourteen I had boys on my mind. :)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

LOL, Marian, I'm guessing the boys, but I am astonished you didn't learn how to play. One of these days, you cruise my way and I'll gather some girls for Mah jongg fun. hugs

Marianne Stephens said...

I'm a bridge fan...have played for years just for fun. Not into the serious bridge mindset.

Unknown said...

Hi Vicki,
I'm a mah jongg junkie too, on my iPhone, so I'm sure it's not the true version. I love it, and the lovely wind chimes that sound when I end a game. I also play Solitaire, Sudoku, Words Free and Blitz Bejeweled. Sounds like I do nothing but play games, but I only spend about a half hour a day on one or the other. It's like meditation but more fun! Sounds like you have a whole lot of fun with your friends! Thanks for sharing.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Marianne! I have a friend who plays bridge twice a week and mah jongg. She's a real gamer. lol

Hi, Gemma! You like a variety of games. I grew up playing board and card games. But when I discovered mah jongg solitaire, wow! A whole new world. And Mah jongg is very brain challenging. thanks for posting.