Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Movie Mom - this time, the film is done right: Far From the Maddening Crowd #historicalfilm #England #MFRWorg

Movie Mom on
Far From the Madding 
Crowd


In Victorian England, a headstrong Bathsheba Everdene inherits a farm and attracts three suitors: a sheep farmer, a reckless Sergeant; and a prosperous and mature bachelor.

Starring: Carey Mulligan, Matthias Schoenaert, Michael Sheen, and Tom Sturridge, the film is a romantic drama directed by Thomas Vinterberg, and adapted from the 1874 novel  by Thomas Hardy. 

My thoughts: I really liked this pretty film. It's been interesting to see Ms. Mulligan mature in her roles from a sister in Pride and Prejudice to this one. Mr. Schoenaerts really caught my eye. I'd seen him in The Drop and Rust and Bone. He plays the rejected suitor we root for well. I had watched the 1967 version was turned off by how slowly it moved. This remake is worth viewing. I especially liked the rapport between Ms. Everdene and the sheep owner and the ending.

FMI: Wikipedia

4 comments:

Angela Adams said...

This book was required reading in one of my college courses. I always liked the title!

Cathy McElhaney said...

Sounds very interesting!I think I want to see this one! Or read the book...maybe both! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Another wonderful movie selection from our Movie Mom. Thanks:) Hope you are enjoying your wanderings through the beauty of flora ... I know I am !!

Vicki Batman said...

Hi ladies! I wish id read this instead of all dickens or shakespeare. Im having fun!