Friday, December 11, 2015

Tripping the Christmas lights fantastic! OR What my dad did on Christmas Eve! #Christmaslightdecorating #twinklelights #holidays #RssosSisters #MFRWauthor


As a child, my family spent Christmas Eve at my grandmother's house. Everyone brought a dessert and a side. All my aunts, uncles, and cousins came and we had a wonderful family reunion. The ones nearest my age played killer Uno in grandmother's bedroom.

But when the party was over...

Dad began driving the loooonnnnggg way home. We piled into the family station wagon, turned on the Christmas tunes and sang our lungs out. He wound through neighborhoods so we could view the sparkly creations set only at this time of year.

Did I mention I have an affinity for Christmas lights?

This year, I spotted this tree:
My photo doesn't do the fiery red and neon green justice.

And I traveled to a small town for their Candlelight home tour and have these shots:


















Handsome likes to put up yard art:

Do you decorate with lights? If so, any special colors you use?


Did you get something special for Christmas only to misplace it?Christmas Countdown is on! Hunk-a-licious customer, Jack Treadaway, pesters boutique owner, Callie Woods, to locate a vintage handbag for his mother. Too bad the wedge between them is his sister, the meanest girl in town "Holiday Handbag Extravaganza" is at:
Amazon  Barnes & Noble  Kobo  iTunes



8 comments:

Cathy McElhaney said...

We haven't for the past few years. I want to, but my fear of heights won't allow me on the roof! For a few years, we did red white and blue...a tree made of the lights those colors, and lighted 'presents' around it. Hubby hasn't had much Christmas spirit these past 2 years, but I think if we DID decorate, it would put him in the spirit...but what do I know?
The grand kids and I decorate inside...not as much as some and not as much as I used to, but you can see that Christmas is arriving!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Cathy! Handsome used to put some around the front of the house, but I was traveling this time when he decorated and he wasn't inspired. LOL Long time ago, I read a Martha article which said to put them up in October and not turn them on. Which makes sense.

Judy Baker said...

I love Christmas lights. I go all out decorating inside the house, but not the outside. My hubby refuses to put up lights outside, so I open all the window curtains and blinds and have the windows lit up so others can see from outside that we're not humbugs!! It's my favorite time of the years and as a child, we too drove around looking at all the lights. Thanks for sharing.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Judy! And thank you so much for sharing with me today. I think you have the perfect solution to let your inside (lol) out!

Melissa Keir said...

Hi Vicki... your Christmas Eve sounds like mine. We always went to my dad's parents house and enjoyed our long drive home. Grandma served holiday punch (the only time we had it) and we loved to sing together, put on holiday shows and spend time with our cousins. Luckily for me, on my Dad's side, I only had girl cousins... :)

Unknown said...

Hi Vicki~~Oh, how I love lights at Christmas time! If I had to give up everything else, I would never give up my lights. To me, they are the highlight (pun intended) of the season when it comes to decorations.The hard part is taking them down. If I had my way, they'd be up all year round. :)

Angela Adams said...

I love looking at the Christmas lights. When I was a child, my grandmother, mom, and me would walk through our Philadelphia neighborhood, and then stop at the "Five of Dime" (does anyone remember Woolworth's?) for hot chocolate before heading home. I miss those days!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Melissa! I had one boy cousin I was very close, like a brother close, to. The others were over ten years older or younger. But these 3 and us 4 were always together and we had so much fun. And bruises from killer Uno.

Hi, Gemma! I dislike seeing them go, too. For years, I passed a Charlie Brown tree with blue and purple lights. It felt happy, like a homecoming. Now, new owners and no lights. :(

Hi, Angela! I think walking the neighborhood and looking at lights is so much fun. I did this with the boys when they were small. I loved seeing the magical look on their faces.