Thursday, November 30, 2017

Handbag and Book: What's your favorite toy? #classictoy #boardgames #Christmaspresent


How many of you grew up playing board games, or baseball/softball, or making your own toys?

For the Class of 2017, the National Toy Hall of Fame released their selections that received superstardom:

Clue: the whodunit game where players must name the crime scene, murder weapon, and whodunit. This game was patented by a British couple during WW2.

The Wiffle Ball: invented six decades ago by a retired semi-pro baseball player from Connecticut. His son had stopped playing regular baseball because  of lack of space and causing broken windows. Eight oblong slots allow the ball to take air and cause a slow trajectory when hit.








Paper Airplane: Who created the first paper airplane? No one knows for sure. Inventor Leonardo Da Vinci did design flying machines with parchment paper.

The selections are chosen by historians and educators with nominations from the public. Toys must have inspired creative play across generations.


Other finalists are: Risk, Magic 8 ball, Matchbox cars, My Little Pony, PEZ candy dispenser, play food, sand, Transformers, and Uno.

For more information from the National Toy Hall of Fame: Website

What was your favorite toy?

Don't forget a good book as a favorite. Find Season of Magic, Season of Surprises, and Season of Promises at: Vicki Batman, Author Central

9 comments:

Liese said...

I LOVED to play Monopoly. Maybe because it involved money? I also had a few Barbies, but never a Ken (not sure why...) My sister used to "borrow" my brother's G.I. Joes (they were big back then)--to his consternation--for Barbie's dates.

Interesting as always, Vicki!

Liese

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Liese! I'd forgotten all about the larger G I Joes. I didn't have a Ken doll either. My neighbor friend gave me her Midge. I was lucky because one year for Christmas, my aunt made Barbie clothes. They are gorgeous and yes, I still have them. Hugs!

Melissa Keir said...

I really loved my little people and my Barbies. As far as games, I loved Simon and Monopoly. Seems like some things never go out of style!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Melissa! I played Simon and did it drive me crazy. I'm wondering if by little peoples you mean the Fisher Price ones?

Angela Adams said...

Like Liese, my favorite game was Monopoly!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Angela! Monopoly drove me crazy. I guess I don't have much money sense--lol--or didn't back then because it seemed like I rarely won.

Ilona Fridl said...

I loved any kind of board and card games. My grandmother was worried that I didn't play with dolls, in fact, I had the early Leggos and a train set that i played with. Oh, well....

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

My favorite Christmas gift always was and still is BOOKS...or a gift card to a book store LOL!
Great post.
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Ilona! I love legos and couldn't wait to buy them for my sons. We all played together.

Hi, Pam! Oh my books. I would be lost without this gift.