Monday, December 18, 2017

Handbag and Book: #Decorating for the #Holidays #Christmasdecorations #quilting


This past spring, I browsed a craft catalog and found a lap quilt that was adorable. I have embroidered many a baby blanket over the years and decided it was time to do one for me. So I purchased two (who knows? I might have to make another. teeheehee.) kits. But when I opened the package, I found not a quilt, rather a top. Rats. I guess I didn't read the description very well.

Okay, find. I can do just the top and perhaps, my sister who had had other quilt tops quilted recently could help me. So I got to work, only to find the thread was terrible. I could fix that! And went to Joann's to buy matching skeins.

 
Because there was so much embroidery, it looked daunting. I mapped out a plan and picked out sections until they were completed and then, moved to the next section. Before I knew it, I was finished.

I asked my sister for help with the quilting. I trusted her judgement on coordinating fabric. The quilter put a holly berry stitching in the perimeter and a random one in the center. I added the matching lime green rick rack,
beaded many of the stars and added some green ones to the ribbon.











It's gorgeous (if I do say so myself).

Do you craft for Christmas?


Besides embroidery and needlepoint, I craft romantic comedy. Here's links to the holiday anthologies (a mere 99cents):

Hopes and wishes. And holiday kisses...the Season of Magic. Wrap yourself in the holiday spirit with five romantic stories filled with fun and forever after.

Season of Magic: Amazon
Season of Surprises: Amazon
Season of Promises: Amazon

9 comments:

Linda Tillis said...

Your project is beautiful! I stitch, make jewelry, do photography, and any thing else I can think of that will add color to my life. Unfortunately, I use these things when I am stuck in my "in progress writing" projects.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Linda! I'm sure these things do help you when you go back to your writing. I find my stitching is restful and I listen better. LOL

Melissa Keir said...

What a beautiful quilt. I love it! I used to do needlepoint and jewelry. Now I don't have as much time as I like so I do more cooking/baking. :(

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Melissa! I like having a little project to travel with. So there's one always in my bag. This year, I moved to doing Christmas ornaments in needlepoint.

I did do one holiday baking thing--pigs in a blanket for a brunch. LOL Okay! I had just recovered from the flu.

Phyllis said...

As you know, I crochet prayer shawls, lap blankets currently. Now that the cataracts are gone, I can get back to bead weaving!

Marilyn Baxter said...

I craft year round! I sew a little, knit and crochet (mostly hats and scarves for my church's homeless outreach program) and lately I've been painting rocks for our local Kindness Rocks group. I find crafts to be so relaxing especially since I've had back-to-back deadlines this month and next.

Your quilt is beautiful! I haven't embroidered in ages but recently I bought a pattern book with teapot and teacup designs. I want to do some tea towels.

Joanne Guidoccio said...

What a beautiful quilt! I used to crochet, do needlepoint, and macrame. But I don't seem to have the time anymore.

Happy holidays, Vicki, and all the best in 2018.

Angela Adams said...

Awesome job! Oh, and my idea of crafting is wrapping a present rather than just stick it in a Holiday bag (LOL!).

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Phyllis! My church does prayer shawls. I contribute for the supplies because I don't crochet and really am not interested in learning.

Hi, Marilyn! You are one busy woman. I have another writer friend who paints rocks too. I think this is so much fun. This year, I embroidered tea towels for friends with teapot and teacup designs. I found the finished cuptowels at Joann's.

Hi, Joanne! You are a very busy girl. I need to get back to writing hard in 2018.

Hi, Angela! Wrapping a beautiful package is so nice. I commence wrap a thon tomorrow. Happy Holidays!