Wednesday, June 25, 2014

#Flower arranging - it's not that scary @VickiBatman #MFRWorg #RLFblog


I'm not Martha Stewart. In fact, until a while back while teaching Sunday School, I'd never used a glue gun. The woman I taught with could do anything.

All the supermarkets carry fantastic flowers nowadays. But sticking them in a vase and hoping for the best doesn't work.





Here's how I do this:

Buy 2 - 3 kinds and buy several bunches of each. For this featured arrangement, I used one bunch of green mums, two of sunflowers, and some spikey yellow thing.

Container - I often use a white pitcher. It is five inches in diameter at the base; so a bit narrower at the top as the sides slope.

Cut - I cut the sunflowers and mums the same height. I scoot the pitcher to the edge of the counter, hold the stem level with the bottom. Then I lower the flower until I like the look of the height. Cut. This works out to be about 2/3 of the height of the pitcher. I lay that flower flat on the counter with the heads at the same level. Each flower is cut to the exact same length. The same application goes for the next flower variety.

Style - I put the sunflowers in a nice pattern inside the pitcher which I've already filled with water and the preservative. The mums went in the middle.

Add a bit more - I bought the spikey things and because I wanted them to stand out a bit, they were not cut as short as the other flowers. I randomly placed these throughout the green mums to break this up.

I've done all kinds of flowers with this method. Can my method work for you?

3 comments:

Angela Adams said...

Nice photo!

Susan Day said...

Spikey yellow things! That made me laugh and then I looked closely and I think they're Australian native flowers. I'll try and find out. It looks great too. You've certainly got a talent for flower arranging.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Susan! You know, I don't buy a flower because it is a specific kind. I buy what I think will look good in my vase. Silly--isn't it?