Monday, August 25, 2014

#Handbag Monday : guest author Elizabeth Essex is all *sparkly* about her handbag #MFRWorg #PlottingPrincesses



I just love ingenuity. Today's #Handbag Monday guest is amazing historical writer Elizabeth Essex. She is the award-winning author of the critically acclaimed Reckless Brides series of  historical romances for St. Martin’s Press. 

A while back, she stunned with her take on a new handbag. Let's take a peek:


~Handbag Monday~


Generally peaking, I’m not a handbag person. My way into this particular portion of Vicki’s closet is through my overwhelming and sometimes, overreaching love of shoes.

You see, I found these beauties—Kate Spade’s New York series ‘Licorice Too’ pumps—at a discount store and had to have them. They go with almost every cocktail dress in my closet because of their multi-colored glitter finish.

But once I had the shoes, I felt myself very much in need of an equally spectacular purse. And because I had already splurged on the shoes, I decided I had to get crafty. I found an old, hardly-ever-used clutch at the back of my closet, pulled out the bottle of Mod Podge and mixed up a batch of many-colored glitter. 

I used a one-inch paint brush to layer on a sticky coat of Mod Podge with the glitter mixed in, but after three layers I had exactly what I wanted—a glamorous, unique clutch to wear to the RITA Awards ceremony at the Romance Writers of America’s national convention. 


I’m already thinking of what I should glitter up next. :)

As the one who saw Ms. Essex on her way to the ceremony, I can add she looked delightful and had a perfect match!!




A SCANDAL TO REMEMBER: a story of shipwreck and betrayal that will be available August 26, 2014. 


Find Ms. Essex at: Website

Thank you, Ms. Essex, for being with me today. May all your handbag days be merry and bright. Hugs.

23 comments:

Susan Day said...

Perfect match - well done!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Susan. I don't get crafty very often, but when I do....watch out!

Thanks for stopping by to chat. Cheers, EE

remullins said...

What a clever idea. And congrats on your award.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Good morning, Ms. Essex and thank you for visiting Handbag Monday where sparkly bags and shoes are a perfect fit. I saw you with the accessories and you looked beautiful. But how did the twisty gown thing work out? LOL

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Susan! You should have seen the shoes and bag--perfection.

Hi, RE Mullins! Ms. Essex is a clever girl. So are her stories. I'm reading the one the PPs worked on with her. Squee-worthy!

Sylvia said...

The shoes and the handbag were beautiful, but then Ms. Essex is always very stylish.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous idea.

Lani said...

Love, love, love the shoes. The books looks just as sparkly!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Karen! I would have been petrified to try this. Thanks for visiting.

Hi, Lani! Ms. Essex is pretty sparkly all by herself. Hugs!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much RE Mullins!

But I wasn't up for any award this year—I just wanted to look my sparkly best. And who doesn't?

Thanks so much for stopping by to chat today.
Cheers, EE

Unknown said...

Vicki,

Thank you so much for having me over to chat today, and for you kind words. (blushing) But that gown was just THE twistiest thing!!! I forget between wearings, because it always looks so fabulous that I can't bear to leave it in the closet, but goodness it was uncomfortable. Or maybe it was all the fault of the dreaded SPANX!

Cheers, EE

Unknown said...

Sylvia,

You are too kind. You KNOW that I get my 18 year old daughter to pull my outfits together. If I am stylish, it's due to her influence and help! Without here you would see me at conferences in my yoga pants and stretchy comfy tops! Her way is much better. :)

Thanks for stopping by to chat! Cheers, EE

Unknown said...

Thanks Karen!

When I was younger, my grandmother had a little sign up on the wall of her seeing room. It said, "We haven't the money, so we've got to THINK!" Whenever I need to push to take a little risk and try something, I think of that quote. And my grandmother, who was stylishness personified. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to chat this morning! Cheers, EE

Unknown said...

Lani,

The best thing about those shoes and that purse is that they have every color in the rainbow, so they go with EVERYTHING in my closet! :)

And thanks so much for the kind words about A SCANDAL TO REMEMBER. It will be out tomorrow and I'm so excited I'm giddy.

Wishing you happy reading. Thanks so much for stopping by to chat! Cheers, EE

Ashantay said...

Love the idea for changing old into new! Also love your grandmother's motto. Perfect!

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm so impressed. The glittery bag craft thingy is amazing. (Yes, as a non-craft person that's the best way I can describe it.)
Crafts for me normally involve some kind of duct tape and a screw driver.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Ashantay! My mother grew up wasting nothing. So she invented and recreated and repurposed lots of things. But nothing this stylish!!! Hugs.

Hi, Marlow! Duct tape rocks! And if that is your forte, better than moi. lol. Thanks for visiting today.

Unknown said...

Ashantay,

I love that idea too. I have a hard time throwing things out when I think I can do something interesting with them, but I keep myself from becoming a border by telling myself I have to do that something NOW or get rid of it. :)

And honestly, using Mod Podge and glitter was EASY!!! I have a pair of slightly tired looking dyed shoes that are just begging to be turned into Ruby Slippers. :)

Thanks for stopping by today to chat! Cheers, EE

Unknown said...

Marlow,

Really it was TOTALLY easy. If I can do it, ANYBODY, even someone whose normal go-to is duct tape, can do it. I promise. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by to chat today. Cheers, EE

Melissa Keir said...

Wonderful! If we can't find the perfect match, we can make our own! Women rule! :)

Angela Adams said...

shoes and bag to wear to a wedding...

Unknown said...

Melissa,

Exactly!!!!! I refuse to let a scary price tag deter me from what I want. And I had so much fun doing it, and showing the bag off in a way I never would have if it were some pricy name-brand bag!!!

Because I KNOW half the fun it being able to chat about it. :)

Thanks so much for chatting with us today. Cheers, EE

Unknown said...

Angela,

I am just WAITING for some relative to take pity on me and invite me to a wedding. :) Not that I'm rushing all my darling nieces and nephews, but.....

Thanks so much for sharing the handbag joy today. Cheers, EE