Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Another one bites the dust—changes around my neighborhood #MFRWorg #Rssos #neighborhoodlife #realestatedevelopment


Last week, I said in several places how I wanted to celebrate Valentine’s Day—not with flowers, expensive dinner, or chocolate. I wanted a walk to my neighborhood donut shop with Handsome and the Adora-poos.

Handsome is a huge donut fan and had no problem with this request.

So with wonderful springtime temps, we took off. I was so excited. Like Handsome, I love donuts, but don’t indulge very often because of the unwanted calorie thingy. And sometimes, Handsome brings home a box of glazed, but that variety isn’t really my favorite. I like buttermilk cake ones. Basically, it is a cake donut, slitted across the top, deep fried, and dunked in powdered sugar glaze.

He went inside and came out with...regular cake and a lowfat milk. LOL. So he blew it on the donut part, but hey, we were there and happy. Until he asked, “Did you see the notice on the door?” “No.” “The shop is closing on the 29th. The owner said the property company raised the rent and wouldn’t talk to them.”
I was shocked. However, the more I thought, the more I wasn’t. Several years ago, a large real estate company bought the shopping center. They did some great renovations. And then, the hardware store left and a drug store took its place. The yoga studio? Gone. The restaurant serving down home food shuttered its doors. Pizza and pet stores...gone too.

Does my neighborhood have to be that upscale?

We did get a fabulous burger store. A pub. A high-end Mexican cantina. A gift shop. A small pet store. A barbecue spot. Another restaurant.


Are you seeing what I’m seeing? Lots of places to eat with very little parking.
I am worried the cleaners I’ve frequented all my married life, whose employees are friends, could be next on the chopping block.
The point being the center NEEDS cleaners and donut shops and something other than restaurants. My part of town is known for “family-owned businesses” and now, they are disappearing to elsewhere.

Sure, that’s how the world has always evolved. Civilizations have always built on the foundations of the old.
But I want my donut shop. 
 
Have you experienced unwanted changes in your neighborhood? 
 
 

10 comments:

Angela Adams said...

I thought picture was a bagel (I must need another cup of coffee this morning!).

Cathy McElhaney said...

I notice the changes more when I go back 'home' to PA. We lived in a very rural area, that is now being 'commercialized', and it saddens me. More roads and buildings, less tree's. Less small mom and pop places...even the 200 year old house we had lived in is gone :(.
My favorite donuts are the eclairs...custard filled with chocolate frosting...YUM. Unfortunately since diabetes became a part of my life, they are a rare occurrence (I could have one as an entire meal, though, carb wise!)
I don't notice a lot of physical changes around here. The Walmart Neighborhood Market seems to be the last change and that was about 15 years ago now.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Angela! Oh my, I didn't see that. and I like bagels, too. lolol

Hi, Cathy! Some places I travel don't have real estate development right next to the highway so we can view the rolling scenery. Much better. I know when driving I like a quick on and off the freeway. Wish there was a good balance. Oh my, I haven't had an éclair in years.

Melissa Keir said...

It is hard when wonderful businesses close. We've found that parking is a huge problem in our town, not to mention the high traffic during peak times. The city is working on it. In the meantime, we try to go early and get a good spot!

stanalei said...

We're seeing changes right and left in our neighborhood. Lot of old places being torn down and new structures going up. The sad part is that my husband and I look at each other and ask "What used to be there?"

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Melissa! The friend at the cleaner's and I chatted about remember when? She knows everything. And we were in agreement about so many restaurants taking all the parking. I know the City has requirements, but have to wonder if buying a whole center circumvents the requirements. So like you, go early or move on.

Hi, Stanalei! My friend and I remembered two drug stores. One became a title company and the other moved into a nearby grocery store. Now, we have a CVS on every corner. And my sons' school? Oh my! It has really changed. Big league now. Hugs.

Joanne Guidoccio said...

Hi Vicki, I'm disappointed when a favorite restaurant or store closes down. Finding a "replacement" can be frustrating and often involves driving farther and/or fighting for limited parking spots.

BTW...I also thought the donut was a bagel.

Joanne :)

Ilona Fridl said...

The big chain stores and restaurants are overtaking all the local businesses. I think there's a place for the family run businesses, too.

Unknown said...

I'm a rural girl and had fields of wheat or cattle or horses as my closes neighbors. However, the the suburbs are getting closer and closer to me now. There's a subdivision of houses built only five miles from me where there used to be a huge wheat field. I'm kind of sad about the changes; however, if a donut shop moved in close, I'd be okay with that. :)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Joanne! I did put donut in the search engine and this pix came up. LOL. Maybe if the glaze was chocolate??? The fighting for limited parking spots thing is spot on. Handsome and boys went to the new barbecue place at 530. Plenty of spots then. Sigh.

Hi, Ilona! Some family businesses can't compete with the chains. I'm hoping this is the cycle we get to go through and a donut shop will come back. *crossing fingers* on this one.

Hi, Red! I'd be good with a donut shop too. You know, it's not like I went all the time. Just enough so it felt special. Hugs!