Thursday, August 31, 2017

Recipe and Book and a #handbag story with mystery author Judy Alter #fashion #accessories #goodfood



A couple of years ago, I developed a bad habit. I’d stick my driver’s license and debit card in the back pocket of my jeans and take off for errands and the grocery. Not that I didn’t have a closet shelf with more than two dozen handbags, including pricey ones my kids had given me. This was just easier. The result was inevitable.
A friend and I were flying to El Paso for a meeting of the Texas State Historical Society and, trying to act like a grown-up, I was carrying a purse. When asked for i.d., I confidently pulled out my wallet to get my driver’s license. It wasn’t there--it was home in my jeans pocket. I had my university i.d. card and my social security, which the guard reluctantly accepted. I carefully kept from making jokes knowing that airport security people were a bit sensitive about such things. Getting to El Paso turned out to be a breeze.
Getting home, not so much so. I suppose, being a border city, that airport has tighter security. But the airport people were unimpressed by my makeshift identification. They patted me down, and I considered myself lucky they didn’t do a full body search. They questioned me thoroughly. They searched my carry-on suitcase, pulling everything out and stuffing it back in so carelessly I was sure it wouldn’t fit.
My friend Carol stood and watched, trying to figure what she should do if she had to get on the plane without me. Fortunately, I never let my mind go as far as being stranded in El Paso. I think I knew two people in that city, only one of whom I could call upon. Call it luck, but they let me on the plane.
Once home, I pulled my purse from under the desk and carefully transferred its
contents to another purse. I’m not sure yet why I thought this change would help, but I was quite dedicated about it. Although it was only March, I chose my favorite, most summer-like purse, a brightly colored concoction of ribbons, sequins, and embroidery. At least, it was once brightly colored and had a nice shape. That day it proved to be a bit lumpy, but I carefully tucked things in this pocket and that. Poking into the depths of a deep pocket, I felt a piece of paper and pulled it out, hoping it was a long overdue and overlooked bill. Instead, it was a recipe I’d been searching for and had thought lost.
2 7 oz cans albacore tuna, water packed
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbsp. chopped red onion
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp. chopped canned green chilies
1 tsp. grated lime peel
1 tsp. lime juice
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. chili powder

Mix all together and let stand one hour at room temperature before serving. Serve with tortilla chips. Great for an appetizer or light lunch or supper.
A college student, dead, in an empty pasture. Rifle-carrying strangers in the local grocery store. An irresistible and loveable Labrador puppy. These add up to trouble for Susan Hogan, associate professor of English at Oak Grove (Texas) University, and her partner, Jake, chief of campus security. Susan’s independent investigation involves a shooting, a break-in, vandalism, threats, a clandestine spy trip to the woods, and two attempted kidnappings. Throughout, she trips over—and trips up—law enforcement investigation, to Jake’s ongoing frustration. Small college towns just aren’t always as peaceful as they are billed.

Follow Judy at: Amazon
Find Judy at: Blogsite

 

10 comments:

Angela Adams said...

I love tuna, and I'm always looking for new ways to prepare it. Thanks, Judy, for the recipe!

judyalter said...

Angela, I love tuna too and am always on the look for new ways to fix it. I order tuna by the case from a "mom-and-pop" fishing/canning operation in Oregon. It is so good! Email me for an Italian tuna open-faced sandwich recipe.

judyalter said...

Thanks for having me as your guest, Vicki.

BodieP said...

So here's the question, Judy--did you remember to dig your license and credit card out of your jeans and put them into your pretty purse also? We have a similar issue at our house--my son's run about three credit cards through the wash. Credit cards do not like dryers.

Renee Vincent said...

Loved this funny, yet scary story Judy! *waving*
And I was so excited to read it knowing it was from you! It's been way too long...how have you been?

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

My pleasure!!

Liese said...

Hi, Judy!
Interesting blurb. I'll check out the tuna recipe.

Best!
Liese

judyalter said...

Bodie, yes--DL now is 9n case on phone, and I always have that.
Hi, Renee. Yes it'a been too long> I'm fine. How are you?
Liese, hope you like the tuna.

Melissa Keir said...

What a frightening moment. Glad you were able to get home. Love the cover and all the best with your book!

Joanne Guidoccio said...

Hi Judy, During the winter months, I toss my license and I.D. in my coat pocket and don't bother with a purse. I need to keep your story in mind. Your book sounds intriguing...best of luck with sales! :)