Thursday, January 18, 2018

Handbag and Book with #author Sandra Tilley: My purse is my lifeline #readromance #accessories #fashion


All Purses Are Not Created Equal
A purse is a handbag is a pocketbook? Whatever you call yours, I maintain that it is more than a mere receptacle or even a fashion statement. My purse is my lifeline. Along with my iPhone which is always inside my purse… in addition to wallet, credit cards, business cards, checkbook, writing paraphernalia, cosmetics, medication, hand sanitizer, snacks, dental floss, and sometimes my favorite beverage–a Diet Coke. I carry my purse wherever I go. Maybe not as close to the body as Queen Elizabeth. But then, I prefer a shoulder strap to handles. Inside my purse is the essence of Sandra Tilley. And I don't leave my purse behind. Ever. 
All purses, however, are not created equal. 
Recently I attended a college football game, and in keeping with the school's tight security policy, I was strongly encouraged to carry a small, see-through handbag. Although my husband suggested a zip-lock bag, I purchased a small, tacky plastic purse, opting for a shoulder bag instead of a clutch. I set aside the things I could function without for a few hours, and then I crammed in as many of my necessities as the transparent substitute could hold. 
I slung the strap over my shoulder and headed out the door, tossing a quick glance into the foyer mirror. I sucked in a breath and stopped cold. Gripping my purse to my body, I stared at my reflection. The clear, plastic handbag revealed the uncensored and unplugged version of the person that is uniquely me. I felt naked. 
I'd exposed my character and inclinations to the world! Everyone could see the tiny bottle of Excedrin wedged in place by lip gloss and hand sanitizer. A comb, as important as my wallet, squeezed in next to a notebook and pen. And behind orange-flavored Tic-Tacs, lay my adolescent obsession: Hubba Bubba bubblegum. 
To anyone with eyes, my vanity, my concern with germs, my fear of bad breath and pain, not to mention my love of not just any bubble gum but Hubba Bubba, were not only showcased for the world to see, but glowed like a beacon of embarrassment. 
The see-through handbag was like a window into my psyche, revealing the real me that I hide inside leather. Sometimes expensive and usually black leather. I love designer handbags, and nothing is as sweet as swinging my black leather Coach bag on my shoulder. 
Wittingly or not, we writers infuse bits of ourselves (and our purses?) into our writing. In my debut novel The Ghost and Mrs. Miller, the word purse is mentioned 26 times. And my favorite black Coach handbag plays a major part in a scene in my current WIP Live Bait. 
 
His rank breath reached me before his slurred words. “Let’s dance.” 
Mid-stroke of applying lip gloss to my bottom lip, he yanked my arm. I toppled off the bar stool and smashed against his slim body. Nicotine laced with alcohol reeked from his clothes and skin. 
I flinched and backed out of his aroma range. I hopped back onto my stool and wiped lip gloss from my cheek. “No thanks.” I grabbed my purse from the bar and deposited my lip gloss. 
He cocked his head, and long blond strands swooped to the side.  “You think you’re too good to dance with me?”   
I turned my back and flipped my hair. “I don’t think I’m too good. I think I’m too sober.” 
Steely fingers gripped my shoulder and whirled me around.  
He leaned in close. Close enough to see jagged red lines in his blood-shot eyes. “Don’t turn your back on me, bitch.”  
His voice, measured and low, rang of raw, controlled fury. I clutched my purse to my chest. Trapped between rage and the solid oak bar, I searched for an exit. The last thing I wanted was to make a scene. If he were sober, I might be able to negotiate. But he hadn't seen sober in a while. 
“Don’t touch me again.” Fear steeped my words in bravado. “Furthermore, you don’t know me well enough to call me a bitch.” 
His hand zipped past my face and slapped the bar. I recoiled. And then in one smooth motion, I drew back my purse as far as I could and swung my Coach bag with both hands. The leather rocket caught him under the chin. 
I squeezed into a ball and braced for retaliation.  
Nothing.
Cautiously, I opened one eye. On the floor, the drunk lay in a heap.
My nurse instincts kicked in. Still clutching my purse, I leapt from my bar stool and knelt down. I put my ear to the drunk’s face to make sure he was breathing. One of the many FloraBama’s security guys crouched beside me. “Want me to call the cops?”
A crowd gathered around us. The security guy wore a red t-shirt with the FloraBama logo Do it on the Line stretched across his swoon-worthy chest. A manic giggle escaped my lips. I wondered if the drunk was lying on the Florida or the Alabama side of the line.
Concentrate. The man on the floor needed me. "No need to call the cops." I tossed my purse aside and lifted his eyelids. They were dilated equally—a good sign.
The security guard spread his arms wide to the gawkers. “Back up folks.” 
My victim's eyelids flickered, and someone in the crowd shouted, “He’s coming around.” 
The drunk put his hand to his chin. “What’d you slug me with?”
“Just my purse.” I held it up for him to see.
“What you got in that thing? A brick?”
“Don’t be ridiculous.” I pulled a can from my bag. “Just a Diet Coke.” 

Thank you, Vicki, for allowing me to share my love of purses and showing how I use them in my writing. Don't think I'll ever find the opportunity to write about my heroine using a see-through, plastic purse. But never say never. 

Find THE GHOST AND MRS. MILLER  on: Amazon    
     Find Sandra Tilley at:  Website
 
Sandra, I'm impressed with your little handbag. I've never had a clear one. I did go to an event and we were told only to carry a six x eight inch bag. That was tiny!

30 comments:

Linda Tillis said...

What a unique insight into our individual personalities! However, it does concern me, as I don't carry a purse. Well, only when attending a funeral and need a place to deposit tissues. After years of wearing a uniform (law enforcement) and carrying a slim wallet in a front pocket,my husband considered it victory that he got me to carry a small wristlet for my drivers license and credit card.

The excerpt is great!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Linda! So no lipstick when wearing a uniform?

Sandy Tilley said...

I so envy you, Linda. Wish I could boil down my contents to a small shoulder bag or even a clutch. However, instead of downsizing, it seems like I'm looking at larger and larger handbags. Hmmm. Maybe even one of those roller-types with the telescopic handle. :)
Thanks for coming by!

JENNIFER WILCK said...

I carry my purse everywhere, too, but I never thought of the contents as revealing who I am. That's really interesting!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Jennifer! Me neither. Although I have created a new blog idea for Handbag & Book called Spill Your Guts. Maybe we should give it a try soon....

Sandy Tilley said...

Thanks for stopping by Jennifer.

And, Vicki, your blog idea to Spill Your Guts. Ooooh, sounds so cool!

Melissa Keir said...

What a great post! I hadn't thought about how my things could be on view. It's like looking in my underwear drawer! How anyone would be able to go with this type of bag every day would be scary to me! I tweeted! All the best with your book!

Sandy Tilley said...

Thank you, Melissa. Writing this post was an eye-opener to me, too. And, Yes! It did feel like someone was looking in my underwear drawer!

Angela Adams said...

For some reason, I always referred to my "everyday" bag as a "handbag," and an "evening" bag as a purse.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

That's so funny, Angela. People use the terms interchangeably. I always say handbag because purse was a term used way back when people carried their money in a drawstring like bag.

Sandy Tilley said...

Angela, that's really interesting. Wonder if it's a regional or generational thing? I remember my grandmother calling her handbag a pocketbook. But never heard my mom call her purse a handbag. Things that make you go hmmmm.

zara west said...

Enjoyed the post and the way you tied your reflections on your own purse to the excerpt. Well-done.

Sandy Tilley said...

Thank you, Zara. And thank you for joining us!

Tena Stetler said...

WOW, never considered what a purse says about you. I carry a small backpack, so my hands are always free. The contents of which among other things, a leatherman tool., mini-flashlight, pen, paper, keys and wallet, bubble gum and floss. What does that say about me? LOL Anyway, great post! Best of luck with The Ghost and Mrs Miller!

Sandy Tilley said...

A mini-flashlight! Great idea! I think I'm going to have to move toward a backpack or wheelbarrow. :)
Thanks for stopping by, Tena!

Suzanne said...

I love this post. I love the clear bag. Twice I've had to head back to the car at sports events to rearrange belongings into a smaller bag. I will admit it was for my daughter, not me, and her backpack-type purse. "Oh no, it won;t be a problem, Mom." Guess what? It was a problem. I'm going to shop for TWO of these cool clear bags. I love how your protag wallops the guy with her purse which includes a full can of soda. Sounds like a fabulous story. Just like The Ghost and Mrs. Miller, another fantastic read.

Sandy Tilley said...

Thank you so much, Suzanne. I appreciate your kind words. So glad you stopped by to chat!

Sandy Tilley said...

Vicki, thank you so much for letting me visit your cool blog today. So much fun!

BTW, during the past few hours of our blog time, I did an impromptu and totally unofficial survey on Facebook and asked my friends what they called their bag-purse or handbag. Of the 32 comments, 31 said purse. One lone comment voted pocketbook! Maybe it's a Southern thing to say purse instead of handbag. :)

Again, thanks!

CB Clark said...

I'm not much of a purse woman, but I understand the appeal. I'm always too afraid I'll leave my purse behind somewhere (which I have done a few occasions). I enjoyed your Blog.

Sandy Tilley said...

C.B., I've left mine behind a few times, too. LOL Thanks for joining us today!

Claire Marti said...

What a fun post! Isn't it interesting to see what a seemingly mundane action can reveal? I love that you had tic tacs AND Hubba Bubba. Hmmm...this could work for a character showing...

Sandy Tilley said...

I love using common, ordinary things to build my characters. Whether it's the kind of car they drive or the kind of clothes they wear-even the purses (or handbags) they carry, all can reveal character. :)
Thanks for visiting us today, Claire. And it really was fun being here.

Anna Lores said...

I loved this post! Whenever I go to a college football game, I stress over what I put in my little plastic tote. I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!

Sandy Tilley said...

I'm not a fan of the little clear totes, but they beat the heck out of a zip lock bag. :)
Nice having you drop by, Anna!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

I'm craving Hubba Bubba now. Thank you all for joining Sandra and me today. Come back soon.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Mary Morgan has left a new comment on your post "Handbag and Book with #author Sandra Tilley: My pu...":

Sorry for arriving late to the discussion, Sandra. I have a love affair with purses--any size, shape, age, or color (though I lean heavily on tartan colors). Yes, they are my lifeline, too. Ooo...and your book sounds like a mustread! Wishing you all the best!

Ilona Fridl has left a new comment on your post "Handbag and Book with #author Sandra Tilley: My pu...":

I may be paranoid, but I'd be nervous with a clear bag. A thief could see what you have in there. Excellent excerpt!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Going back to Sandra's comment about what to call a handbag--a purse--a pocketbook--a tote--a shoulderbag--a crossbody bag: it's all about personal choice. I heard purse a lot, but have gravitated to handbag. It seems to fit me!

Sandy Tilley said...

Thank you, Mary. I'd love to see your purse in its tartan colors.

I know what you mean, Ilona. Being exposed feels really creepy. :)


Thank you, Mary and Ilona. Glad you came by.

Joanne Guidoccio said...

Insightful post! I couldn't carry a see-through purse. I struggle with purses that don't have zippers. The wrong angle and everything is exposed. I like basic black (or tan) with a secure zipper.

Sandy Tilley said...

I'm with you, Joanne. No see-thru for me either--unless I have no choice. Like you, I like zippers and basic black--tan if I can't carry black. :)
Thanks for commenting.