Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Holiday Countdown!

Halloween is long gone and Thanksgiving and Black Friday ended last week. The stores have had holiday decorations up for months. Christmas is around the corner.



I have traditions with my family, and the most important one is watching the movie "White Christmas" on Christmas Eve.


Back in the dark ages, television had only a few networks. No cable, no videos. Just television. And on Christmas Eve, our local station would air "White Christmas."


When my grandmother was alive, my family and extended relatives went to her house on Christmas Eve. When we returned home afterwards, my sisters and I would turn on the movie. We knew all the songs and sang along.


I carried the tradition into my marriage, and when my boys grew old enough, they viewed it with me. (And yes, they learned the songs too!)



Over the years, my family and I have added to our movie repertoire. There's the one with the kid and the BB gun, "A Christmas Story." "Millions," "It's a Wonderful Life," "Stalag 17," "Love, Actually." And "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "Charlie Brown Christmas," "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."


I like to watch each of those every year and preferably with a family member.


So let's start a list. What are your holiday favorites?


White Christmas
A Christmas Story
Millions
It's a Wonderful Life
Stalag 17
Love, Actually
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Charlie Brown Christmas
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
The Family Man
The Holiday
The Christmas Card
A Season for Miracles
Silent Knight
Silver Bells
Holiday in Handcuffs
The Family Stone
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
While You Were Sleeping
Elf
29th Street
Miracle on 34th Street (original)
The Bishop's Wife
The Polar Express
Christmas in Connecticut
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Carol
Holiday Affair
Bad Santa
Last Holiday
Noel
Holiday Inn
Star in the Sky
Bells of St. Mary
The Ref
Life of Brian
The Night They Saved Christmas
Scrooge w/Albert Finney
A Diva's Christmas
Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol
Meet John Doe
Christmas in Canaan
Muppets Christmas Carol
The Santa Clause

No comments: