Monday, November 11, 2013

Vicki Batman ~ #Handbag Monday: Terminology and Paris bag, week 5


 ~ Handbag Monday ~

Every now and again, I'm going to post a big about handbag terminology. We will look at what is Handbag, Purse, Tote, Reticule, Clutch, Shoulderbag, Satchel, Pocketbook, Minaudiere.

Today's is: HANDBAG
 
Kozzi image
 

Often, I'm asked why I use the word "Handbag" instead of "Purse." It's strictly a matter of word preference. Purse seems to be old fashioned to me.  
My bags use a closure and have a handle.  

Handbag ~ A "handbag" is a larger needed accessory, that holds items beyond currency, such as a woman's personal items and emergency items to survive on. American English typically uses the terms "purse" and "handbag" interchangeably. The term "handbag" began appearing in the early 1900s. Initially, it was most often used to refer to men's hand-luggage. Women's accessory bags grew larger and more complex during that period, and the term was attached to the women's accessory. Handbags are used as fashion accessories as well as functional ones.
For more information, go to: Wikipedia
Although I found this image at a free site, I'd probably buy one if it came in another color, like red or brown. It's got a groovy handle.
 
Paris bag: Week 5
This needlework project is moving along. I began at the center, like I did with the other side, and am working up and out to the edges.



This won't surprise you: I bought another one to do. It has insects and flowers. I'm thinking turquoise.
 
What is your favorite kind of handbag?
 
 

No comments: