Monday, September 22, 2014

.@VickiBatman - author Suz de Mello returns with a family treasure #MFRWorg #PlottingPrincesses

Back to wow us with a vintage handbag is Suz de Mello. Let's see what Suz is sharing on...



Handbag Monday


I have been a guest at Vicki’s handbag Monday blog before but alas, I forgot which bags I featured.

 

I’m pretty sure I haven’t talked about the bag I got from my mom, who was quite the fashion plate in her time. In 1947 or ‘48 she was, literally, a beauty queen, having been crowned “Miss Isle of Wight” while on holiday there from London with her family.


So the bag probably dates from the late 1940s--postwar Britain--unless it was a hand-me-down from my grandmother, who in her time was also a social butterfly. So it’s possible that the bag may date from the Roaring Twenties, or ever earlier.


In fact, it may be a forgotten bit of Victoriana. Do you think that the heroine of Sherlock’s Scandal would have carried a bag like this one?




In case you’re curious, here’s the blurb for Sherlock’s Scandal, my bit of erotic Victorian fanfic:


A bored Sherlock is a dangerous Sherlock. His twin vices of cocaine and sex could prove his undoing, until he meets his match in elusive, enigmatic Irene Adler. Hiding her heart, Irene deserts Sherlock in the midst of their affair. He schemes to win her back, but the lady won’t come easily to hand. Instead, she forces him to compete for honor, glory and love.


Buy Sherlock's Scandal at: Elloras Cave


Suz! this bag is beautiful and one that is relevant today! You should be so happy that it was handed down to you. Take care of this precious treasure. 

10 comments:

Sylvia said...

Love the handbag and don't you just wonder what that handbag has seen and the tales it could tell. Hmmm....

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Sylvia! I love where your mind is headed. I want some of that action.

Suz de said...

Thanks for hosting me, Vicki! I do love to show off my handbag collection and I, also, wish I could have attended some of the parties and soirees that little beaded clutch made it to :)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Suz! I have a similar beaded bag which belonged to my mom. I'd never considered the events she'd taken it to before now. Then Sylvia put her comment in and Wow! We could do an anthology based on one bag. LOLOL

Unknown said...

Suz, love the bag and love the snippet from your book. I can see Sherlock perplexed as she chases him until he catches her :)

Going back to the bag, it is a wonderful throw-back to a time we would never know,but can cherish though our loved ones.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Florence! So glad you visited today. I have a special spot in my heart for vintage bags, especially needlepoint. Someone stitched it, had it made and gave or carried it. Sigh. I like the time and effort that went into it and appreciate that.

Angela Adams said...

A great evening bag...

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Angela! It is a great evening bag. I wonder if there's a label inside.

Suz de said...

Vicki, what a great idea about an antho based on a bag! The authors could follow the family members who carried it--mom, daughters, granddaughters...how fun :)

Th bag does not have a label inside. Its ivory satin lining has a little smear of rose-colored lipstick. Is there a tale that could be told about that smear???

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

I know, Suz! I can tell Sylvia caught that idea and knowing her, she will run with it. Will she let us in on her fun? LOL

A red smear. We know that's lipstick, but how it got there... The $64 question.