Monday, May 18, 2015

#Handbag Monday - a lovely Springtime vintage bag sure to make everyone green with envy #MFRWorg #RLFblog #fleamarketfind

Handbag Monday

Long ago, my sister took me to a really great flea market where a vendor was selling Margaret Smith handbags. I had never heard of them, but was really in love because of the fabulous patterned fabrics. No leather!


 Here's a bit about the Margaret Smith company: Margaret Smith made beach bags and totes in the forties, eventually leading to the formation of the Margaret Smith Company. Her bags were considered the Kate Spade of the fifties, sixties, seventies. She became the first woman to represent Maine in the Senate and the first woman to serve in both houses of Congress.
The small tote I purchased that day is a typical hunting scene. The totes came in various sizes of small, medium, and large-almost briefcase-sized. Then there are the specialty ones with other kinds of fabrics and different handles and closures. I confess, I have a variety of all of them. AND I always get tons of compliments.

I've bought several on eBay and ETSY for a nominal price. Some have never been carried. This red one is a favorite because it is RED, and also, the size. It's lightweight and I like the tote handles because the larger ones drop off my shoulders.
In this day of leather handbags, would you be willing to carry a fabric one like this?

7 comments:

Jerrie Alexander said...

I love this handbag! It rocks. Red is my favorite color.

Vicki Batman said...

Thx jerrie! Sadly, its fraying on yhe corners- ooh, maybe i can get a new one!

Unknown said...

Oh yes, Vicki. I love all my fabric bags and absolutely love this one.

I so remember Margaret Smith being the first woman to serve in both houses. I also remember hearing her speak at a televised convention, but can't remember which one :)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Florence! I love how you know of Margaret Smith and her political record. Wow!!

Angela Adams said...

I have to say...I would love to have that print on a sofa.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Just checking back in to let you know it's a sad day for me. I have to let this beautiful Margaret Smith bag go. The handles are frayed so badly and the corners are fraying and ripping too. I'm sad. BUT I will find a replacement. LOL

Teen Girl Reviews said...

I felt sad reading this. :(

But this is the type of bag I would like to feature on my blog, if I had one.
teengirlreviews.blogspot.com