Monday, April 02, 2018

Handbag and Book: Do you and your partner share a "song"? #readromance #themesongforcouples #JamesBondmovie


I usually share how Handsome proposed to me on April Fool's Day, but today, I'm going to share something else--how we met!

I lived in a large apartment complex and made many friends. On Memorial Day weekend, one neighbor and I decided to go to the new Bond movie, For Your Eyes Only. I loved the films and really wanted to go. My friend decided to hang by the pool and would connect with me later in the afternoon. The pool was right outside my bedroom and I could tell my friend was partying hard. When he left for the day, I went to his place and checked in.


He was very happy. As we discussed not going, the doorbell rang. My friend answered and there was Handsome. He apologized for interrupting, but I dismissed it, saying we thought we would go to the movie, but our friend was not able to go after all. Handsome came in and our friend introduced us. A few minutes passed. Our friend said, "You take her." I rolled my eyes and said Handsome didn't have to go, but he said he wanted to.

And that's how we met.

Was I overwhelmed? Handsome was nice enough and didn't break any mirrors. lol

He picked me up, we drove to the theater, bought our own tickets (not a date, remember?) and he hardly talked at all. The opening credits rolled along with the movie's theme song (For Your Eyes Only) and I was a little embarrassed at the sexual overtures. After the movie was over, he drove me home and dropped me off in the parking lot.

Well, okay. That was awkward, but it wasn't a date; so okay. And thank goodness he was persistent. In a funny way, we do have a theme song. lolol And a great "how we met" story for our kids.
Do you and your partner have a theme song?



My kids say Handsome is Allan Wellborn from the Temporary books. He's not. I saw an actor on TV and knew he was Allan. But his first name comes from a character on a television series and his last name from a construction company. I liked the way the "LL" sounded in both names. And Wellborn describes Allan to a "T." Find out all about him at: Author Central





12 comments:

Mary Gillgannon said...

Cute story. My first date with my husband, we actually went to a strip club. It was my girlfriend's idea (it was sort of an impromptu double date). My husband paid no attention to the girls and later we went to a club and danced and when he kissed me, I swear I knew he was special. I don't remember what song we danced to, but "our song" is Sugar Pie, Honey Bun by the Four Tops because it was one of the few songs he would dance with me to later, when I discovered he hates dancing! Thanks for brightening my day with memories. As you can imagine that was a long, long time ago.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Mary! I'm recovering from the strip club part!!! That's crazy. Handsome loves to dance, but he grips my hands really hard. You have a fun song. Hugs, vb

Barbara Bettis said...

Fun post!! I enjoyed the story of both your 'meets', but I am still blinking at the strip club. My husband didn't dance either, which was a shame because I loved to. Eventually, I persuaded him to a slow dance now and then. :)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Thanks, Barbara! #2son loved to dance as a youngster, but then he quit and won't even try. I'm like what are you going to do when you meet a nice girl. LOLOL Thanks for stopping by.

Sandy Tilley said...

I love hearing how couples met.

My husband and I met on a blind date. When mister cool and confident swaggered down my sidewalk to pick me up, I knew he was the one. After dinner we stopped at a bar for a drink, and I picked out songs for the jukebox. When Carlos Santana's song SMOOTH came on, he said, "Dance with me." And there was no dance floor.
He had me from the swagger.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Sandra! I love that song. I love the cool confident and swagger. What a great story!! Hugs, vb

Angela Adams said...

Love how you met Handsome!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Angela! Thank you so much. My son just rolled his eyes.

Reviews By Crystal said...

My husband and I met on New Year's Eve. I had gone to the dance with my parents and my aunt and cousin were to join us. I was watching the door for my Aunt and Cousins to arrive when in walked this handsome man. He actually was sitting down at the table next to ours. His sister was dating a good friend of our family and they were at the next table. My Honey and I exchanged a few smiles and the next thing I knew this handsome man was standing there asking me to dance. I explained I was not a good dancer at all. I have MS so it's hard for me to dance. He promised that he didn't care if I could dance. He was persistent and so darn cute. I finally gave in and danced with him. We danced well together. I can't dance with anyone else but I could dance with my Honey.

It was love at first sight. He completely stole my heart the night my Dad ended up in the hospital a few weeks later. I called to cancel our date that night and explained why. The nurse came into my Dad's room about an hour later to let me know there was someone in the hallway for me. I opened the door and there stood my Honey. I walked into his arms and knew from that moment on that he was the ONE.

Our song was Nobody's Darlin but Mine.

He's been gone almost two years now and I still miss those arms. If only I could feel those arms around me one more time.

Mary Morgan said...

Wonderful post, Vicki! It was love at first sight with my husband thirty-eight years ago. Our favorite song: Chances are...by Johnny Mathis. Every time I hear his voice, I recall that first date.

Ilona Fridl said...

When Mark and I were dating, seemed like everywhere we went the song "Love is a Many Splendered Thing" was always playing. I often said, our "song" found us. Great post!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Crystal! That is a beautiful how we met story. and I love how he came to the hospital for you and how you felt at home in his arms. Oh man, I'm weepy.

Hi, Mary! Doesn't get any better than Johnny Mathis!

Hi, Ilona! That is a beautiful song and how it found you made me smile. Thanks for posting, ladies.