Thursday, April 22, 2021

Handbag and Book guest author: M. E. Hilliard - Who was once in retail and is now an author?

This is a Frances Valentine Nylon Kate Shopper Tote in Red (obviously) with black and white striped interior, and two interior slip and one zip pocket, all of which are currently crammed full of my stuff. Zip top and two slip pockets on either end, which are perfect for business cards, my work badge, spare mask, packet of tissues, or whatever. I got it on sale (50% off!) on the Frances Valentine website. 

This is the brand the late Kate Spade launched a few years after she sold her original brand, Kate Spade New York. In my pre-librarian, pre-writer life, I was a handbag buyer. I started as an assistant buyer in Better Handbags at Lord & Taylor. For years, I was a traditional Coach girl. Then I met Kate Spade when she launched her first line out a tiny showroom. She was adorable and charming, and I’ve been a fan of her bags ever since. This reminded me of her original boxy nylon styles—well-constructed, not too heavy, simple and tasteful. I wish I had it in every color! I’ve had it for years and use it often. It’s my go-to bag.

Greer Hogan is a 40-year-old widowed librarian who makes a mean martini and who never lied about anything she considered important until the night her husband was murdered—because she was with her first love at the time of his death. Three years and one career change later, Greer is enjoying her new life in the Village of Raven Hill when she finds the body of her friend in the old Manor house that serves as the Village library. Driven by curiosity, guilt, and lingering questions about her husband’s death, Greer begins to untangle a knot of secrets linking respected Village residents to each other and to two deaths reported as accidents as she works to unmask a very clever killer—before she becomes the next victim.

More about M.E. Hilliard:

M.E. is a librarian who started out in retail merchandising at Lord & Taylor, where her glamour job involved office space in the basement of the Fifth Avenue store. She got tired of


mergers and moves, so she got a Master of Library Science degree. She has been in the information business ever since, working for public libraries small and large. Originally from the Connecticut shoreline, she has never lost her love of quaint small towns, big cities, and fashion, so she indulges that in her writing. A life-long lover of mystery fiction, she currently lives and works in Florida.

Answer these questions:

Red, White or Blue? Blue

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter? Fall

Cake or Pie? Cake

Coffee, Tea, or Champagne? Coffee

Country music or Michael Buble? Bruce!

Pencil or Pen? Pencil, mechanical and refillable

Find The Unkindness of Ravens at: Amazon.com 

Find M.E. Hilliard at: ME Hilliard

2 comments:

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

OMG, a Kate Spade! I love them and have 1, 2, 3...a whole lot. Right now, I'm carrying a pale blue tote. Perfect for traveling. vb

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

What a lovely bag!
Your book sounds like a very good read.
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT