Thursday, July 08, 2021

Handbag and Book guest author Arthur Vidro - Had Enough of Cheaply Made Stuff?


Until thirty years ago, I frequently had to replace my cheaply made wallets. They seemed to be made out of vinyl. When I cut my finger on the sharp edges of a cheap wallet’s photo holder, I’d had enough. An ad from a J. Peterman catalogue for quality wallets made out of baseball leather – the same long-lasting leather used in baseball mitts – caught my eye. 

They cost a good deal more, but I bought two, figuring they would last me for life. Maybe when I turn 60 (soon enough), I’ll switch from the first wallet to the second. Or maybe the first one will last another 30 years. But they sure do last.



More about Arthur Vidro: Arthur edited (and wrote the introduction to) Dr. Poggioli: Criminologist (2004, Crippen & Landru), a book of mystery stories by Pulitzer Prizewinner T.S. Stribling. Arthur’s own mystery stories have sold to Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine, Mystery Weekly Magazine, Woman’s World, and a few anthologies. He has sold essays to EQMM and to Mystery Scene. He writes a weekly newspaper column and earns his living editing and proofreading (preferably mysteries). He publishes a thrice-yearly journal called Old-Time Detection.



Answer these questions:

Red, White or Blue? Favorite color is green. If restricted to red, white, or blue, then would create a plaid.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter? Autumn.

Cake or Pie? Not a fan of sweets. Prefer sugar-free jello.

Coffee, Tea, or Champagne? Coffee during daylight hours, tea after sunset.

Country music or Michael Buble? Sorry, never heard of Buble. I’ll stick with Nat King Cole, Guy Mitchell, Merle Haggard, and Ernie Ford. But instead of a singer, I’d rather listen to Tchaikovsky’s “Marche Slave.”

Pencil or Pen? Fountain Pen.

Find The Further Adventures of Ellery Queen at: Ellery Queen


1 comment:

Custom Boxes Mart said...

People have made carrying around hanging custom bags or a tote into a fashion icon. You can often see many celebrities taking pictures with their custom bags to symbolize a connection with everyday life.