Friday, February 28, 2014

Vicki Batman ~ I know it is spring when...

Got the winter doldrums? Sick of the wretched snow? And has it been cold or what?

I'm a lucky writer in that I have a desk positioned next to a floor-to-ceiling window that overlooks my front yard. When my family moved to this house, we had old landscaping. Over time, I dealt with enlarging the flower beds, adding new shrubs for the worn-out ones. Planting daylilies and pentas.

But I didn't touch the flowering quince.

I'd never had one before and hadn't really noticed them when they flowered. In the winter, it's nothing but dried sticks. However, every February, a hint of tight pink buds form. If the day has a bit of warmth, they open a tad. If it grows even warmer, the bees swarm. The birds hip hop and chirp.

Here's what happened:











Shortly, the flowers will drop, the leaves will form, and the quince will no longer hold it's pretty pink glory. But next year....

What are your favorite signs of spring?
 

1 comment:

Angela Adams said...

My favorite sign of Spring is daylight savings time. Thanks for the post.