Friday, July 18, 2014

Are you a #Movie Maniac? A few thoughts on The Immigrant #MFRWorg

For something completely different, let's take a look at The Immigrant on #Movie Maniac:



In 1921, a Catholic Polish woman and her sister arrive at Ellis Island, looking for a better life after escaping post–war Poland, but all does not go well. Actors are Marion Cotillard, Jeremy Renner, and Joaquin Phoenix.

Again, I said to Handsome I wanted to see this film because of one actor, Marion Cotillard. She was amazing as Edith Piaf, and recently, I watched Rust and Bone and liked that performance, too. I like Mr. Renner's films, but not Mr. Phoenix's so much after seeing The Master. He is just hard for me to watch. Our paper had rated this film and A-, again, pretty decent for our paper. Handsome liked it, but me? Not as much.

A reason why this film was difficult for me was (spoiler alert) taking advantage of someone in a difficult situation and that someone is clueless. Yes, that's what makes the film. Despite the good acting, great set and period costumes which really caught New York's flavor, I wasn't in love with the movie. Just a little satisfied. Does that makes sense?

FMI: The Immigrant

No comments: