Last November, my mom passed away. And today, I'm thinking about her because tomorrow would be her birthday. It's bittersweet knowing I can't celebrate with her.
Mom gave me great values and the use of my hands to make things. I have been embroidering since age nine. Many years later, we were perusing Hobby Lobby and came upon the clearance section where we found Stitch and Zip needlepoint kits. I said, "I think I can do this. I've been wanting to learn how to needlepoint." She said, "I know you can."
I bought the kit and have made many Stitch and Zip things. I have taken needlepoint classes and
make pillows and handbags. When I would visit my mom, I'd always take a project with me so she could see what I was up to.
Not long ago, I decided to embroider pillow cases and at our house, tatting made by my grandmother was added. I asked Mom for some and we pulled out her boxes and drawers to find the perfect pieces for my work.
When going through my parents' things, we opened the cedar trunk at the foot of their bed. Inside was lots of projects she had embroidered. And I had never seen them before. She'd also stashed a set of cases I'd done for her.
Thanks, Mom, for the gift of hands.
P.S. Isn't she beautiful?
- 07/20 - Recipe & Book, Vinnie Hansen
- 07/17 - Handbag & Book, author
- 07/13 - Recipe & Book, Norma Huss
- 07/10 - Handbag & Book, Loretta Wheeler
- 07/06 - Travel & Book, Sharon Buchbinder
- 07/03 - Happy Fourth of July!
- 06/29 - Gardening and Book, Vicki
- 06/26 - Handbag and Book, VB
- 06/22 - Travel & Book, Iris Blobel
- 06/19 - Handbag & Book, J J Montgomery
- 06/15 - Vicki, To Donut or Not
- 06/12 - Handbag & Book, Joanne Guidoccio
Thursday, August 04, 2016
Not quite a year: Mom #agingparents #newlifeadventure #Rssos #TWRP #RB4U #MFRWorg
Posted by Vicki Batman, sassy writer of sexy and funny fiction, blogger at Handbags, Books...Whatever at 2:00 AM