Monday, September 19, 2016

Handbag & Book: to drawstring or not #Rssos #MFRWorg #accessories #handbag


Handbag & Book with 
Vicki Batman

Drawstrings are back in style! While vacationing, I passed a store window and saw in incredible electric blue drawstring handbag and fell in love. But the price--nononono. Then I remembered I have a vintage drawstring. I'd bought this black vinyl one several years ago at an antique mall. It's so neat with the great pockets outside and a good side. It does lend itself to slinging over the shoulders, too, and holds my belongings easily. 

Handsome told me to buy the electric blue one for my Annual Fun Day, but so far, I'm passing. It's a hard call since I don't have an electric blue handbag; however, the price!!! And since I have the opportunity to test drive this one I have carried for a while, I can decide after if it is really what I want. 


And in case you missed, Annual Fun Day was also the launch of Temporarily Insane, my second romantic comedy mystery. Here's a bit about it:
Bad job. Wrong love. And Murder. Hattie Cooks takes a job at an accounting firm where mishaps and murders are definitely fishy.
Excerpt:
Trixie had some nerve.
“Stop it, Hattie!”
Her reprimand, the one which had shot a stabbing pain to my right eye, sounded terribly out of character, like she had little patience for me. Ordinarily, she was the nicest person I knew, didn’t have a mean bone in her body. The kind who rescued animals, picked up trash at Sommerville Park, and prepared food for the elderly.     
Not today. I narrowed my eyes and crossed my arms across my chest in a school girl flaunt.
Trixie tilted forward in her desk chair, her bosom almost resting on her desk. “This nonsense has to end. Your moan sounded like an obscure breed of a bizarre...untamed...wounded animal.” She returned to an upright and seated position and in tiny increments, rotated her chair from side-to-side, waiting for me to say something not stupid.
In truth, Trixie had pounded the nail on the head. I had nothing to add. My whole life had turned into an obscure, bizarre, bad reflection of itself, thus wounding me to my core. I sighed and pouted an if only.
Don’t go there.
My funsister friend owned the employment agency Jobs Inc., and on occasion, she’d happily assisted me in finding temporary work since my dream job had been flushed down the proverbial toilet a few months back, thus soiling my picture perfect life. For this newest assignment she’d located, I’d be employed as an administrative assistant for the managing partner at Northside, Lancaster, and Brookside, Certified Public Accountants, headquartered in my hometown of Sommerville.  
At first, she’d sounded oh-so pleasant when we began our yak about the opportunity. “Think accounting,” she’d teased, followed by a small chuckle.
Her laugh had spoken volumes of Encyclopedia Britannica proportions.

Find Temporarily Insane at: Amazon ebook  Amazon PB


So any of you willing to jump on the drawstring handbag bandwagon?

7 comments:

Melissa Keir said...

What a nice guy! I do look at the prices too and hold off. If I really need it, it will be there when I've thought it over and over. ;)

Unknown said...

I always look at prices. I'll buy a cute, inexpensive bag and have money to put in it rather than an expensive one, and be broke. Love the excerpt too. Way to go, Vicki!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Melissa! I guess Handsome was feeling bad because he wasn't able to shop this year. He sent a fabulous flower arrangement, though.

Hi, Pam! I have to say I did find the bag at half price through another vendor. So the pocket sting wouldn't have been so bad. I may go for it. Some just speak to me. LOL. Thank you!

Angela Adams said...

I kind of agree with you about the price! If I think an item is too costly, I can't enjoy the purchase. Best wishes with your new release!!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Angela! Honestly, every time I passed the store window and said "Hi, pretty handbag," Handsome was with me. You'd think...uh, no. Call him clueless. But knowing it was for sale somewhere else at a better price helps. I just can't decide.

Joanne Guidoccio said...

Hi Vicki, This post brought back memories of my brown drawstring bag from the 70s. And my other trendy purses, among them a suede fringe bag that I simply adored. If only I had kept the bags! Great excerpt...best of luck with sales. :)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Joanne! I saw more drawstrings in advertisements; so it's back! I know what you mean. But some bags wear out. And some I look at and think what was I thinking. LOL.