Thursday, November 03, 2016

Recipe and Book w Ann Everett #sweetthangs #cooking #recipe #MFRWorg


Recipe and Book with
Ann Everett

When I started writing the first book in my Tizzy/Ridge Trilogy, Laid Out and Candle Lit, I knew I wanted to include family members as characters because I have some colorful relatives!

In real life, my sister and I go by the names of Pattiecake and Sugarpie, so to put us in the story I figured with those monikers we needed to be bakers or pole dancers. Since I made us younger with bigger boobs, working a pole wasn’t out of the question, but in the end, I decided on bakers.

Then I had another brilliant idea. Why not write a companion cookbook to the series? Especially, since many scenes take place in Sweet Thangs Bakery with the owners serving up wit and wisdom right along with all those baked goods.
How hard could it be? It’s just recipes. Right? No plotting, pacing, character development, dialogue, bedroom scenes…and no threads to tie up to make sure the story ends right!



I already had the recipes. My sister and I had been baking them for years so it wasn’t like I had to create all of them from scratch. I figured assembling and formatting 60-75 dishes should take me about six months. Easy—peasy…right?

NOT!

FOUR years and FIFTEEN pounds later, I finally got the book published. Turns out, it takes a long time to prepare each dish and photograph it! Plus, I ended with an assortment of over 130 luscious cakes, yummy cookies, sweet salads, delectable pies, scrumptious candy, and delightful drinks!

At the time, CreateSpace didn’t offer a hardcover option, so I went with IngramSpark. That experience is a whole ‘nuther’ story. If anyone is thinking of publishing a cookbook and has questions, please contact me and I’ll be happy to share what I learned.

But today, I’m sharing a simple cookie recipe with just 5 ingredients.

Pattiecake McAlister and Sugarpie Monroe cook up delicious confections at Sweet Thangs Bakery. These recipes are from the kitchens of real life sisters, Pattie Ball and Carol Mayfield.


SALTINE TOFFEE COOKIE: Simple…fast…delicious…5 ingredients

4 ounces saltine crackers

1 cup butter

1 cup dark brown sugar

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

¾ cups chopped pecans


Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Line cookie sheet with foil for easy cleanup, then lay saltine crackers on sheet in a single layer. In a saucepan, combine the sugar and butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn’t stick or burn. Remove from heat and pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers completely.

Bake for 5-6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of crackers. Let sit for 5 minutes, then spread melted chocolate with spatula, and sprinkle chopped nuts over the top. Cool completely and break into pieces. 
Ebook copies, for a limited time, are currently $2.99:   Amazon


Print copies, soft or hard cover, can be ordered at: Ann Everett Website

Ann, I'm so impressed with your work--a cookbook related to your book. Congratulations! So what is your favorite recipe?

6 comments:

Angela Adams said...

Ann, thanks for the recipe! A great holiday treat!!

Emma Ames said...

I tried these for the first time at a book event and couldn't believe they were made with crackers! They are a great recipe to make when you're craving something sweet and want something fast!
I hope you try them and like them enough to mark the recipe as one of your "go-to" favorites!
Thanks for having me on your blog today!

Emma Ames said...

One of my favorite recipes in the book is Peach Bliss. I love fresh peaches...no choice because I'm a southern girl...and I adore baked meringue! Makes me feel fancy when I eat it! The combination of the fresh fruit and crunch of the meringue is just so yummy I could have these everyday. Oh, and don't get me started on how much I love fresh whipped cream!!

~Ann

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

I love these cracker cookies and have never made them. I might have to soon, though!

Melissa Keir said...

Sounds like a yummy treat! I wish you all the best with your book... and maybe that future job as a pole dancer! *wink*

Judy Baker said...

They all sound yummy. I love cookbooks with pictures. Thanks.