Thursday, January 19, 2017

Having a conversation @VickiBatman #foreignlanguage #makingfriends #MFRWorg





Recently, I was out of town with Handsome. While he was attending to business, I waited for him in the lobby. I stuck in my headphones to listen to Chris Botti and began embroidering a special gift. As he was ushered back, a man across the way said something like "you don't go?"

Since I wasn't sure I heard him correctly, I took out my earbuds and walked over to him. He was an elderly guy and having men in my life who couldn't hear well, I am a little sensitive in talking with people so they can hear. I said, "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you."

He pointed in the direction Handsome had gone. "Don't go?"


I must have looked puzzled. "No. It's okay to wait."

He asked, "You speak Spanish?"

I do not speak Spanish. I know French. Nine years worth. After all that time, you'd think I was an expert at the language. However, like most things, it's only good if you practice. Like I used it when in France. There's not much reason to speak French where I live. Spanish and French, being romance languages, have similar words. That's probably why I can read some Spanish.

That said, I did learn a bit of Spanish, the first grade stuff-numbers, colors and everyday things. So I said to the nice man, "Uno. Dos. Tres."

We laughed. He indicated the handiwork and I said, "Embroidery."

He nodded.

I asked if his wife was sick. He said tests.

He asked if I have children. I said, "Dos. Ninos."

He informed me he had grandchildren by showing knee high with his hand. "Ocho." 

I understood.

He asked, "Glasses?"

"Contacts."

And then his wife and another man came. He left.

Neither of us spoke different languages well, but we somehow understood each other. I thought that was cool.

Season of Promises has a new cover! All the great holiday stories you'd expect from the Season of anthology authors. Find out more at: Amazon














Do you speak another language?

8 comments:

Angela Adams said...

Four years of Spanish (two in high school, two in college), but you know what happens when you don't use what you've learned. That was such a sweet story. I see a scene for your next novel in that post (smile).

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Angela! Exactly. It really was a sweet moment and I wondered if he spoke to me because he was a little worried. Hugs.

Kat said...

I used to love watching the hubby talking to an old Italian neighbor. Neither understood a word the other was saying, but there was lots of nodding and smiling and they both seemed happier for the daily interaction :)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Kathryn! That is so cool. And sometimes, it's all about companionship. Hugs!

Melissa Keir said...

I took two years of German and can only remember good morning/day/afternoon as well as counting and asking where the bathroom is. It's all about priorities. :)

brenda said...

Sadly, no but I should. I am a Latina. My parents decided they didn't want my sister and me to speak Spanish. Thus everything bar their private conversations (in Spanish) were in English. Like others, I took Spanish in high school and college, but it didn't stick. As for you post, it amazes me how we manage to overcome most barriers when we are driven to communicate.

Judy Meadows/Judy Gabriel said...

Great story. It's always lovely when gaps are bridged like that.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Melissa! LOL. I am always surprised when I travel and am able to read some things. My problem is I can't understand what someone says back to me in French. I've lost my ear.

Hi, Brenda! I have a friend whose parents didn't let her speak Spanish. So when she goes places, sometimes, people assume she does.

I liked how we managed to chat anyway. Thanks for stopping!

Hi, Judy! I have to add when I told Handsome I chatted with this nice man, he asked if he was an old guy. It seems I attract older men. LOLOL