Thursday, November 16, 2017

5 Ways to Make Your Colonoscopy Easier #doctorstuff #medicalprocedure


About a year and a half ago, I was told by my doctor it was time to schedule a mammogram and a colonoscopy. The mammogram was pretty easy. I do have boobs and they squish them close to pancake flat. That's okay as long as there's nothing to worry about.

But that colonoscopy...no one has nice words for this.



My aunt had colon cancer. I didn't want it; so I sucked it up and phoned the doctor who had done the procedure ten years earlier to schedule an appointment. The doctor went over my history - nothing has changed. Directed me to the young lady who said she could schedule me for the procedure in a week. I was like that quick? And then thought, if you do so quickly, you won't back out. I said yes and went home to begin the prep.

First off, no seeds, nuts, fruit with nuts. Bleh! Six days later, last meal. Day before, drink clear juices, no red or grape anything. That evening, drink the prep.

So here's my tips:

1. Hawaiian rolls and roasted deli chicken sandwiches are good. In fact, my new fav sandwich.

2. Mix equal parts of apple, grape, and 7 up. Drink as much of this as you want.

3. From a friend, drink the prep with a straw. Disclaimer: I tried this and it didn't work for me. In fact, I never want anything faux cherry flavored again.

4. Drink a bit of the prep, water, prep, water, until it is all gone. This helped dilute the faux flavor.

5. There isn't a five. I kept hoping I'd think of something, but I've got nothing.

The instant the sedative was injected, I conked out. I'm such a lightweight. The nurse woke me and after a brief visit with the doc and was told I was fine, I went home.

It is my greatest wish for when the next ten year appointment rolls around, something better will be invented instead of what I had.

Have any tips to share?


Want something fun to read to take your mind off your colonoscopy? Try Temporary Insane. No weird procedures. Just a bad job, no man, and murder. Find the fun at: Amazon TWRP  B&N ibooks

6 comments:

Kat said...

Tip ... even if you're a lightweight when it comes to knock-out drugs, do not insist that you only need a partial dose. Take it from me, waking up during the procedure is not fun. First there is the excruciating pain from inside you, and later there is the sore throat from screaming until they got me knocked out again. :D

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Kathryn! I slept through the whole thing--gratefully. I just can't imagine otherwise.

20Pat said...

They do have virtual colonoscopies called colongraphies. However if ther’s anything suspicious they’ll do a colonoscopy to get a better look anyway.And there’s still a prep although it’s supposed to be easier.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, 20pat! I have not heard of the colongraphies. I hope the prep is better 'cause the regular prep is bad. Drinking that stuff...

Reviews By Crystal said...

The water secret is a good one. I ate jello in between. It seemed to help and made my tummy feel better. I mixed lemon jello with lime jello. It wasn't half bad :)

I had the scope from the top and the bottom this year. They had me floating pretty good. I told them I did not want to feel anything and I sure did not want to know when that camera went down my throat. I was still pretty giggly when we got home. I can see why you need a driver :) LOL

I'm really glad everything was OK for you. I think just getting the AOK helps to feel better after.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Crystal! I should have made jello, but I did an apple grape juice drink topped with 7up and that was good. It's always a huge relief to find out there are no issues after that test. Thanks for sharing today!