Thursday, February 22, 2018

Handbag & Book: Weather is Changing #rainydays #readingagoodbook #RLFblog


Today at my workout, another attendee made the remark she's sick of the rain. We've had lots of days recently with gray to pouring heavily to thunder and lightening.

But I'm not on board with that. Not so long ago, our state was under a huge drought. Some reservoirs were empty. Crops were affected. Some towns had no watering of lawns. Ours mandated two days a week in the evening. Handwatering was okay.

I never want to go through that scare again. Never.

Water is life. Without it, there is no beauty.

And on those gloomy rainy days, there's alternative activities. I love to plop on the couch with a good book, something to drink, and maybe a bag of Cheetoes. Or find a good movie and stitch to my heart's content.

I know the adora-poos aren't having fun because they can't chase the squirrels or bark at
the runners. Instead, they get lots of mom time. I say that's a good thing.






Just in case you need a fun book to indulge in while rain pitter patters, here's a great deal: the Murder & Mayhem  boxed set which includes my humorous romantic mystery, Temporarily Employed:

 New Job. New Love. And Murder.
Hattie Cook's dream job is down the toilet and her new SUV violated. Desperate for cash to cover the basic necessities of rent and food, she takes a temporary job where she uncovers an embezzling scam tied to the death of a former employee--the very one she replaced.

When the police determine there's more to the death of a former Buy Rite employee, Detective Allan Charles Wellborn steps in to lead the investigation. Overly dedicated, always perfect, he puts his job first, even if doing so ultimately hurts the one he loves.


Can the killer be found before Hattie's time is up?
          No frisking and no arrests were--so far, in my book--a good thing. As Sarah Anne’s older brother, I found it easy to eliminate him from the stalker, murderer, and rapist categories. The something in the truck line sounded similar to approaches used in past dating experiences. For instance:
“Want to come up and look at my etchings?”
Translated: A roll in the hay.
Or the ever popular “Would you like to meet Mr. Lizard?”
Translated: Mr. Wiggly Worm.
“How about coming to my place for a drink?”
Translated: To ply me with multiple drinks and the requisite roll in the hay.
I hadn’t fallen for those then and wasn’t going to be a sucker now.
He stuck his hands on his hip and said, “I know what you’re thinking. I’m not a stalker, murderer, or rapist." 
Apparently, he could read minds.
"Just a minute." I closed the door partially to release the chain, then opened it. “Why can’t you just tell me whatever it is?”
“No. I want to show you---”
“Not a Picasso?” I asked.
“No.”
“Not an iguana?”
A perplexed expression crossed his face. “A what?”
“Not your pet worm?”
“What pet worm?”
“Not---”  
          “Look, I don’t know what you’re thinking. The only worms I know about are for fishing.”

6 comments:

Melissa Keir said...

I will always take the rain over the snow! :)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Snow around here gets the weatherpeople up and going into frantic mode when we have snow. They report and get everyone is hyped up. There's great speculation about roads and school and business closings. Used to think annoying and somewhere in my life, I began to think funny.

Snow's beauty really comes out, transforming everything into a wonderland. And if I'm up early, my world is utterly quiet.

Angela Adams said...

I agree with Melissa! Rain over snow any day!!!

Marsha said...

I like the cold weather, Vicki. I mean it is still February. But all this rain is getting me down. Yes, we needed it. We've lost the beach that was growing in the lake. I'd be much happier with snow. In reality, that's because I know we wouldn't have to deal with it too long. LOL Fickle Texas weather. I shared. :)

Joanne Guidoccio said...

Ditto for rain over snow. In southern Ontario, we finally got rid of all that snow. Let's hope it stays that way.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Marsha! Once I discovered Ugg boots and keep my feet warm, I don't mind cold weather. I had two weeks of gray and came home to another week of gray. My dad always said that's why we live here because it changes.

Hi, Joanne! Our snow stays about a day if we're lucky and stirs things along. Hugs.

From Ilona!


































Ilona Fridl has left a new comment on your post "Handbag & Book: Weather is Changing #rainydays #re...":

As I'm writing this, we have freezing rain outside. I'm about done with winter. I loved the excerpt from your book!

I'm so happy you like my excerpt. I love TE and TI. TOOL is almost ready!