Thursday, March 29, 2018

A Disastrous Catastrophe! #computerwoes #newbook #rlfblog

A few weeks ago, I was typing merrily along on Temporarily 3, took a moment to check on something on Amazon via Google, then WHAM! A pop-up appeared and with a screaming voice and blaring sirens, ordered me to call Microsoft as I'd been infected. I did and began speaking with the tech at the other end.

He said because of another server being attacked last year, I got a virus and needed to buy a new kind of scan for $299.00. This unnerved me. I felt very panicky. All I could think about was my new book, my new book, my new book.

Then he wanted me to sign into my online banking services. I was like what??!! No, not doing that. Then he wanted me to do a virtual check. No, not doing that.

All kinds of whistles began going off in my head. I told him I had his number and could call back if I wanted his services (in other words, bs to get rid of him). The instant I hung up, I ran a virus scan and downloaded my book to a USB.


I consulted with #2son and we agreed to wipe the computer and reinstall. This took a while.
Afterwards, I loaded on all kinds of back up stuff, changed passwords on various accounts, etc. I probably have spent ten hours on this.

#2son said, "Mom, something in your head said this wasn't good. You did the right thing." Still, I got (and get) security lectures from #1 and #2sons.

I have to say in all the years I have worked with computers, this is the first time. Of course, I will be more vigilant in the future.

The good news: the book is just fine.





I've been working on a new project and pretty soon, I'll be sharing some news with you. :)


https://www.amazon.com/Murder-Mayhem-Mystery-Boxed-Set-ebook/dp/B078Z594TJ/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8/ 

In the meantime, if Murder & Mayhem is up your alley, try the Murder & Mayhem boxed set which includes my humorous romantic mystery, Temporarily Employed. Find the fun at:  Amazon

9 comments:

Marsha said...

My stars, Vicki. That is a scary experience. I've gotten emails that I thought were hinky, but never had the sirens going off like that. I delete the emails, but bless your heart, that took a whole day of your life to fix. So happy your book is okay. I went to Carbonite after a bad scare with our computer. Thanks for this warning. I've shared. :)

Melissa Keir said...

Thank goodness you had that feeling. They would have taken so much. I'm glad you have everything settled now. Those screaming things are really a phishing scam where they can get money from you. I always close them out and then call my own personal computer person who knows.

Sandra Dailey said...

The same thing happened to me. The guy started talking about his work being covered under my warranty, which I knew was a lie. I was on my oldest computer. I told him I'd have to call back. Then, I did what they tell you Not to do. I shut down the computer. After a few hours I did the same as you. Ran a check, which didn't show any threats and changed my passwords. It is scary.

Angela Adams said...

Hearing these stories makes me miss my old Smith-Corona electric typewriter.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Marsha! I was total unnerved. The yelling, the sirens, the blaring lights...Then the guy and his hinky stuff. Too much.

Hi, Melissa! I knew it was too weird to do business like he wanted. And would possibly give him access to all kinds of info. A part of me is still wary.

Hi, Sandra! I moved my book asap, scanned, and shut down. Then I took up eating chocolate. Glad all worked out for you.

Hi, Angela! I like typewriters and have an unnatural affinity for typewriter tables (I have two and would buy more if I could). Editing is so easy on a laptop....

Anonymous said...

Same thing happened to me. I didn't call, shut down my computer, ran a scan, and logged back on. It's happened a couple of times now. It's always scary. I keep backup copies of all my work diligently. Good thing you listened to your inner voice.

Joanne Guidoccio said...

Hi Vicki, What a frightening experience! Good to hear your book is safe. BTW...I also miss my Smith-Corona electric typewriter. :)

Cat Dubie said...

I'm glad this ended well for you, Vicki. Just shows how vigilant we have to be. I get pop-ups all the time urging me to go to a website. I always delete them, press shift and delete to make sure they're gone. Reminds me of those phone calls – "your Windows is infected. You must..." I tell them I have don't use Windows. They don't know how to answer that. :-)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Friend Anonymous! #1 and #2 sons keep thinking I did weird surfing on the internet, but I hadn't. I went to Google, then Amazon, then Wham! I still feel uncomfortable about looking around in the www.

Hi, Joanne! I almost cried. I was a wreck and I think I'm unflappable. Book is good. I'll be back on it just as soon as I finish my secret project. :)

Hi, Cat! I do use Windows. I also believe no one is totally safe. We do the best we can. Thanks for visiting with me.