Thursday, May 16, 2013

Vicki Batman: Anything but snakes

Indy has it right-I hate snakes


On my way home from the craft store, I drove past the apartment complex I lived in with my BFF when we were free and single gals. The complex has been torn down and a huger new one is going up. Seeing the spot brought back a memory.

Once upon a time, we used to have a big parties and invite everyone we knew. Sometimes, the only place to stand was on the fireplace hearth. One year, her co-worker's boyfriend showed with a boa constrictor dangling over his shoulders.

The reptile was not invited.

I suggested he stay out by the pool with his "buddy" for the party. He did.

But that got me to thinking about other close encounters of the slinky kind.

As a kid: while picking blackberries at my aunt's farm, we were warned to "watch out for cottonmouths."
As a kid: while swimming in a lake to "watch out for water moccasins."
As a teenager: while working at an amusement park, the foreman of a ride bashed a water moccasin at my feet.
As a mom: watching my son and friend leap over one in the middle of the road I had just used.

I think snakes are creepy and do know they do good as well as have defense mechanisms. I just don't want to be around when they feel compelled to do so.

How about you? Hate snakes?


BTW: this link goes to Indiana Jones trivia-http://www.funtrivia.com/en/Movies/Indiana-Jones-1046.html

Vicki Batman prefers cats and dogs over snakes. She's working on holiday stories now while imbibing in a diet Coke or two. Find her at the PP and at: vickibatman.blogspot.com/ @VickiBatman and on FB as sassy writer of sexy and funny fiction.

4 comments:

CJ Burright said...

I can handle snakes, but not spiders. Shudder. My husband is so deathly afraid of snakes, a little girl once brought in a garter snake curled around her pinkie and he squealed like a pig.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, CJ! Several people have commented on spiders being the creepiest thing. Too funny about your hubby and the garter snake. I haven't seen one in a long time--cats. Thanks for stopping.

Melissa Keir said...

Snakes and spiders aren't fun but I like them better than the problems they get rid of. Just please don't point them out to me! That's when I do the silly dance to avoid them!

pastprimetravelers said...

As a child I was frightened of snakes but when I went back to school a teacher was wearing one around his neck. I was curious and touched it. Amazing, it was warm, dry and felt like material covering a steel rod that moved. Puff, there went my fear. Since that time I've had the joy of holding some pretty big ones, all non-poisonous of course. Maria