Thursday, August 04, 2016

Not quite a year: Mom #agingparents #newlifeadventure #Rssos #TWRP #RB4U #MFRWorg

Last November, my mom passed away. And today, I'm thinking about her because tomorrow would be her birthday. It's bittersweet knowing I can't celebrate with her.


Mom gave me great values and the use of my hands to make things. I have been embroidering since age nine. Many years later, we were perusing Hobby Lobby and came upon the clearance section where we found Stitch and Zip needlepoint kits. I said, "I think I can do this. I've been wanting to learn how to needlepoint." She said, "I know you can."


I bought the kit and have made many Stitch and Zip things. I have taken needlepoint classes and
make pillows and handbags. When I would visit my mom, I'd always take a project with me so she could see what I was up to.


Not long ago, I decided to embroider pillow cases and at our house, tatting made by my grandmother was added. I asked Mom for some and we pulled out her boxes and drawers to find the perfect pieces for my work.


When going through my parents' things, we opened the cedar trunk at the foot of their bed. Inside was lots of projects she had embroidered. And I had never seen them before. She'd also stashed a set of cases I'd done for her.


Thanks, Mom, for the gift of hands.


P.S. Isn't she beautiful?

6 comments:

Angela Adams said...

Your mom was lovely...Spend her birthday with your happy memories.

Unknown said...

She was very beautiful. Such great memories of your mom. Thoughts and prayers with you

Unknown said...

She was very beautiful. Such great memories of your mom. Thoughts and prayers with you

Cathy McElhaney said...

Beautiful! The year of 'firsts' is the hardest. On the 30th, my mom will have been gone 7 years...every year, except this one, I baked a cake onher birthday. My mom was not a baker, but she could cook!She could also crochet, but she never did needlepoint. She made an amazing afghan for my husband...it has the Pittsburgh Penguins logo on it.

jbiggar said...

So sorry, Vicki. Your mom sounds like a very special lady. I'm glad you have all those wonderful memories to hold in your heart {{hugs}}

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to say goodbye to our parents- our mothers in particular. Mine has been gone for 6 years and not a day goes by that I don't think of her.
I'm sure your mother was so proud of you and all of your talents.

She is, indeed, beautiful.