About a year and a half ago, I was told by my doctor it was time to schedule a mammogram and a colonoscopy. The mammogram was pretty easy. I do have boobs and they squish them close to pancake flat. That's okay as long as there's nothing to worry about.
But that colonoscopy...no one has nice words for this.
My aunt had colon cancer. I didn't want it; so I sucked it up and phoned the doctor who had done the procedure ten years earlier to schedule an appointment. The doctor went over my history - nothing has changed. Directed me to the young lady who said she could schedule me for the procedure in a week. I was like that quick? And then thought, if you do so quickly, you won't back out. I said yes and went home to begin the prep.
First off, no seeds, nuts, fruit with nuts. Bleh! Six days later, last meal. Day before, drink clear juices, no red or grape anything. That evening, drink the prep.
So here's my tips:
1. Hawaiian rolls and roasted deli chicken sandwiches are good. In fact, my new fav sandwich.
2. Mix equal parts of apple, grape, and 7 up. Drink as much of this as you want.
3. From a friend, drink the prep with a straw. Disclaimer: I tried this and it didn't work for me. In fact, I never want anything faux cherry flavored again.
4. Drink a bit of the prep, water, prep, water, until it is all gone. This helped dilute the faux flavor.
5. There isn't a five. I kept hoping I'd think of something, but I've got nothing.
The instant the sedative was injected, I conked out. I'm such a lightweight. The nurse woke me and after a brief visit with the doc and was told I was fine, I went home.
It is my greatest wish for when the next ten year appointment rolls around, something better will be invented instead of what I had.
Have any tips to share?
Want something fun to read to take your mind off your colonoscopy? Try Temporary Insane. No weird procedures. Just a bad job, no man, and murder. Find the fun at: Amazon TWRP B&N ibooks