Thursday, October 25, 2018

Book and Bag: Marcia James, author and extrovert #designerhandbag #readromance #servicedog


I’m an author and an extrovert, so I wanted a handbag that was both functional and a conversation-starter. I found this black backpack purse on sale at a resale shop. The bag is large enough to carry swag and other things I need for reader events and conferences, but also light and comfortable to wear.
I enjoyed “blinging” it with my canine logo, Smokey, and my website URL. I included a dog-theme because my contemporary romances feature dogs. Why did I turn my bag into a craft project? Because authors are always standing in lines at these events from the buffet to the ladies room.
This purse on my back is an ice-breaker for the shyer attendees standing behind me in line. I’ve met so many people that way. And once a conversation is started, I can retrieve swag from this purse and hand it out. I have prettier and more expensive handbags, but this one is my author favorite!


Stock car legend, Tom "Torque" Tyler, faces a bleak future following a traumatic head injury and seizures. Determined to drag her high-school crush from his self-imposed solitude, service dog trainer, Meg Klein, and a tiny but talented seizure response dog bring Tom hope and love.

Meg stepped closer. "Would it ruin dinner if we waited before eating?"

               His expression curious, Tom turned off the sauce. "No. Would you like some wine?"

               This was the moment of truth. "All I want is you." Meg flattened her hands on his chest and stood on her toes to press her mouth to his.

               She'd surprised him, and it took a heart-stopping second for Tom to respond. But then he tugged her against him and deepened the kiss. Her heart stuttered, then raced. Their tongues warred and explored, his taste a rich, savory mix of male and Italian spices.

Tom raised his head, his eyes darkly shining. "Are you sure? I don’t want you to have regrets?"

               "I'll only regret it if we stop." She loved that he was worried about her...and maybe she would have misgivings in the morning. But for once in her life she’d live in the here-and-now. She met his heated gaze. "I know you're not in Jenkins to stay, so let's not waste the time we have together." Meg circled his neck with her arms, pulled his head down to hers again, and poured every bit of her passion and love into the kiss.



Find Racing Hearts at: Amazon

Find Marcia James at: Website

8 comments:

Marcia James said...

Thank you, Vicki, for including me on your blog! You have a really fun theme, and I'm sharing the blog with all of my readers and author friends. Have a wonderful day!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

So glad you are here, Marcia, and I look forward to meeting your friends. Thank you for sharing your Book & Bag today.

Melissa Keir said...

Sounds like a wonderful story. Maybe I need a bag like yours so people will talk to me. I'm quiet and shy!

Marcia James said...

Hi, Melissa! I have a marketing/advertising background, and I learned that the easiest way for shy people to mingle with people at events is to have a conversation piece that invites people to ask questions like, for example, "Where did you get that wonderful pin?" or to give you a compliment like, for example, "I love your handbag." ;-) I've seen authors wearing jewelry made out of their book covers, which is so cool. I've complimented people on their outfits, jewelry, handbags, etc, not only because I honestly liked those things but as a way to start a conversation. One thing shy people should remember is that there are a lot of shy people at an event who would really appreciate someone coming up to them and starting a conversation so they don't feel like a wallflower. So in most cases, you would be doing the other person a huge favor by starting a conversation with them. ;-) And I've made a lot of friends by being the first one to approach the person. Best wishes, Marcia ;-)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Handsome says ask a question to make them talk

Angela Adams said...

Great looking, and highly functional, bag!

Marcia James said...

Vicki -- if a person isn't too shy to start the conversation, the old standby is either "What do you like to read?" for readers and "What do you write?" for authors. ;-)

Marcia James said...

Angela -- I love backpack purses because it keeps my hands free. That's good at writer/reader conferences since I'm inevitably handing out my swag, which has my laminated business card attached. ;-) You can easily customize a backpack purse if you don't spend too much money for it (who wants to glue things to a Coach purse?) and don't care if it's only used for conferences. ;-) Resale shops are my friend.