Thursday, February 21, 2019

Book and Bag w Vicki Batman - It’s really Simplicity, isn’t it? @Simplicitypatterns #craftingwithmom #readromance #MFRWauthor


My sisters and I grew up with Mom making our clothes and hers as well. It made money sense to do so and back then, my parents were all about stretching every penny. There were huge fabric stores like Cloth World and Hancock’s. Sometimes, we would go with Mom to those stores and go through the pattern books, like Simplicity, McCalls, and Butterick, but never Vogue because those were more complicated and she had little time for that. 
Patterns allowed people to create their own clothing. The books we thumbed through were our version of stylish fashion magazines and offered a glimpse of glamor. We could imagine ourselves garbed in gorgeous outfits. Mom often made us matching dresses for Easter, like these: 


Aren't we cute? 
We would help my mom lay the printed tissue on the fabric and learned how to pin it into place. If we could cut straight (not me, Mom said), we cut along the lines. Mom pinned the pieces together and then sewed them. One time, I did try to make a dress with her help. She was a tough teacher, and mostly, I learned how to rip and sew again. And again. Since ripping was not fun, my creativity did not go into sewing.
After I graduated from college, I worked for a local department store. I desperately needed new work clothes. Who did I turn to? Mom! She made me several Chanel-styled suits in various fabrics, sometimes, dresses, and special evening wear. I loved them!
In 2018 while shopping in my favorite Joann’s, I ran across several Simplicity collectibles. Memories crowded my head and of course, I purchased a few items, like these: 
Are you into sewing clothes?


And here’s more creative fun—Just Desserts…and other stories, eleven romantic comedy short stories sure to make you feel good.
 Amazon ebook   Amazon PB     B&N      Smashwords

2 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

Yes! My mom made most of my school clothes, and when I got older she made a few of my formals. I worked full time while my daughters grew up so I didn't make all of their clothes, but I sewed a few of their party dresses and most of their Halloween costumes. I still find it relaxing to sit down and create something with fabric!
Just Desserts sounds scrumptious.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Patricia! Mom sewed all kinds of clothes for us. She made bridesmaid dresses too. She was very good and worried the Fashion Police would come around and inspect. LOL