Thursday, June 20, 2019

Blog: Have You Ever Wished You Could? #cutemeet #lightheartedromance #MFRWauthor


Have you ever wished you could do something but were too embarrassed to do so? Or to shy? Or worried about what others would think?

I grew up a shy girl. I know that might contradict with what you know about me now. I love meeting new people and doing fun things. And as for embarrassing myself? Well, the likelihood of meeting those folks again is zilch.

I have always had in the background these wishes—
I wish I could draw/paint (and I don’t mean the walls of the house. I can do that). I’ve never had an
art lesson. The closest I ever came was a wine and paint class. I didn’t do badly because the instructor gave great directions. And now, I’m happy expressing myself through stitching embroidery and needlepoint. So maybe I'm okay with not learning how right now.

I wish I could dance. All I wanted in high school was to be a member of the dance team. But there was one drawback-I’d never had a dance lesson. I tried out my sophomore year and didn’t make it. In my junior year, I decided to be a manager based on the prior year.  I worked out with the other girls and could do what they did. So why didn’t I try? The teacher agreed to let me. I high-kicked my way perfectly. But jazz dance? That’s where no training showed. The teacher must have known how much I wanted to be a dance team member. She told me I’d have to work extra hard (which I did). And as a married woman, I found Jazzercise and have been happily dancing ever since.

I wish I could write. Ever since I read Dick Francis’ mysteries, I had the urge to write. But I had no guts. I knew deep inside I couldn’t take the rejection. After a friend pushed me to try, I felt more comfortable in my writing shoes. I worked and worked and joined Romance Writers of America and the local chapter. There I made friends and honed my craft. I had the rejections, but I’d learned how to handle that and plowed on. I’m glad I did. I’ve learned so much and grown immensely.

I know many of you have had “I wishes.” Is it too late? What would you do?


Creativity abounds in this fun, light-hearted, cute-meet collection:


Find yours at: 

 Amazon    Print     Nook   Other

4 comments:

Sandra Dailey said...

I was a beach bunny as a teen. I lived every day on the beach. I miss the sand and surf tremendously. I could get to either coast in little more than an hour, but I hate to go alone. My husband hates the beach. My family and friends can't or don't want to go. The problem is - I fill all my free time doing things for them. I have to learn to say no, today is my time. I have to jump in my car and take a great book along to keep me company.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Sandra! Go, even if it is alone, but safely. I always say a book is my best friend. I think it's yours too.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

I tried out for cheerleader - once and softball - once. Poor eyesight stopped the ball playing. Not enough (NO) experience cheering stopped that and I never tried again. Your painting is good! I haven't even tried one of these.

I'm a firm believer that it's never too late though!

Great post.
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Pam! I tried for cheerleader and softball too. Glad you liked the painting. I think I need to go again.