Thursday, September 12, 2019

Aah, Florence! Vacation and of course, A Handbag #newbook #romanticcomedy #shortstories #traveling #souveniers

Aah, Florence! The land of great food, incredible wine and ambiance, and handbags. This summer, Handsome and I cruised the Adriatic Sea. Our journey began in Tuscany in a resort converted from a farmhouse. We moved to Florence after a deluge wiped out electricity and more importantly, flushing the toilets. Our first stop on our adventure was Florence.

Ten years ago, Handsome and I had cruised the Mediterranean. I heard somewhere incredible leather goods were produced in Florence. After the standard old city tour ended, I asked the guide where I could buy handbags. She pointed me to a place across the piazza.

Fast forward to 2019. I KNEW I would have to shop for handbags in Florence. I found the same shop right next to the restaurant where we ate a great meal. The shop was bigger. Nine rooms to pick through. Nirvana! And I bought this  summery rattan one with pink trim: 
Inside are two pouches, perfect for sliding a pair of sunglasses in. And then a large zipper pocket which corrals all the little and important things. The whole bag can be zipped shut. I admit I don't do that. It's a great size. My small needlepoint project and a small water bottle easily fit. Many people have asked if it was made by a famous designer I know and love, but it isn't. 

Sadly, Labor Day has passed and soon, I'll moving be to a more fall-ish one when the weather turns cooler and the leaves change colors.


When you travel, is there something you like to buy to remember the trip? 

Do stories involving travel interest you? Let my Calgon moment take you to  Sommerville days, two of my stories which involve vacation destinations: 

Store Wars: The competition is heating up when Janie's old flame returns to town and is running his family's store. Could following dreams break her heart?

San Diego or Bust: When a young woman plans a romantic getaway with her boyfriend, disaster strikes. Is her Mr. Right the right Mr. Right?

Find yours at:    Amazon    KU


10 comments:

Linda Steinberg said...

I used to buy knickknacks or 'chatchkes' but they became dust collectors. Then I tried for things that hang, like local prints or artwork, but ran out of wall space. Now I usually buy something to wear, tho not a standard cotton tee shirt. Just got back from Tahiti. I didn't buy a pareo since I knew I would never wrap one correctly, but I did buy a top made of the same scarf material. Glad you enjoyed your cruise and Tuscany.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Linda! I what you mean. I did buy a few little dishes, like these fabulous porcelain ones from Slovenia. I like buying handbags because I will use them. I did buy a few food things too, for example a nut and honey bar, and yes, they're all gone. lol

Hannah Rowan said...

I don't really buy souvenirs anymore. Since we downsized I'm trying to get rid of things! But I do pick up items I can use for gifts throughout the year. Items that are unique to the place I'm visiting. And if I discover a spice or a sauce from that area, I'll buy that, because it's something I can use up.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

I'm not a big handbag person. Simple, small and sufficient is my motto but you sure post some pretty ones!

Florence sounds like a lovely trip.
Good luck and God's blessings to you
PamT

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Hannah! I love shopping in unique stores and finding special items I probably wouldn't find here. In Slovenia, I bought a handknitted doll for my new granddaughter and handmade porcelain.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Pam! Thank you regarding the handbag posts. It so much fun to see what other writers carry.

Ilona Fridl said...

Great looking handbag! That would be nice to store crafts in. Loved the pics of Italy.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Ilona! I carry a small needlepoint project with me in my handbag when traveling. Many a time, Handsome and I just plopped in a park, people watched, and I stitched. Nirvana.

Clipping Path said...


Very nice post. Thanks for sharing with us.

Hello Fashion Forever said...

Great post! Looking forward to more posts in near future. I have also found some interesting websites on which you can find designer evening bags.