Thursday, December 05, 2019

Blog with Alice Renaud: a #vintage handbag and #supernaturalromancestories #MFRWauthor #shortstories


This is a vintage, black, beaded handbag. It’s from the Fifties, but the style is more like the
Forties. I found it in a charity shop. It’s in very good condition, so the lady who owned it probably didn’t use it very much. I think it was a special occasions handbag, the one she got out when she had a special event to go to. Maybe a ball, or an anniversary date with her husband. 
It’s not very big, but bigger than what a lot of girls carry nowadays, and the handle is quite stiff. Its owner would have worn it on her arm, the way our Queen still does. I like vintage clothes and handbags. Handbags are best because they always fit! They make me feel that I’m travelling back in time, like the heroine of my story “The Sweetest Magic of All,” included in the “Mystic Desire” anthology, out now. Although my heroine, the apprentice witch Sapphire, travels much further back than the Fifties – all the way back to the seventeenth century, when handbags hadn’t been invented!

 
A collection of brand new supernatural romance stories by award-winning BVS authors!


The Sweetest Magic of All by Alice Renaud: When a sexy apprentice witch and a hot warlock go back in time to locate a magical amulet, they find more than they bargained for. It's May Eve, the most magical night of the year, and normal rules don't apply...

Mystic Desire also includes stories about Native American dream catchers, mystical jewelry, lustful vampires, a grumpy leprechaun, a ghostly terrier, a zombie apocalypse and things that go bump and ooh! in the night. There is something for everyone in this anthology!


More about Alice Renaud:

Alice lives in London, UK, with her husband and son. By day she's a compliance manager for a pharmaceutical company. By night she writes fantasy romance about shape shifting mermen, water monsters and time-travelling witches. Her first book, “A Merman’s Choice,” was published in January 2019 by Black Velvet Seductions. It is the first book in a fantasy romance trilogy inspired by the landscapes and legends of Brittany and Wales. The second book, “Music for a Merman,” is out now. Alice loves reading and writing stories, and sharing them with anyone who’s interested!


Red, White or Blue? Blue, colour of the sea, the sky and my husband and son’s eyes.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter? The older I get, the more I love spring and summer.

Chocolate pudding, cake, pie? All three, in that order.

Coffee, Tea, Champagne? Tea every day, champagne for special occasions… every week end is a special occasion! I had to stop drinking coffee as it gave me palpitations.

Country music or Michael Buble? Country music

Pencil or Pen? Computer



Find Mystic Desire at: Book Vendor

Find Alice Renaud at: Facebook

9 comments:

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Alice, and welcome back to Handbag and Book. Your bag is very striking. Several years ago, I had a hard time finding a handbag to like because they looked too big. I began looking at vintage ones and have found some very stylish beauties.

Alice said...

Thank you Vicki! Yes this handbag is one of my favourites. I love vintage bags and jewellery because of the history they carry and they are unique. Thank you for hosting me today!

Callie Carmen said...

Alice,
That is a lovely bag. It was great how you tied your handbag story to your Mystic Desire tale. Brilliant.
Callie

Ric said...

I must confess I don't know a lot about bags, but to my eye, it has a black-tie event feel to it. I agree with Callie Carmen, it is a great tie-in with your story. I am a big fan of your writing, Alice. I can't wait for your next story.

Ric

Suzanne said...

What a wonderful story The Sweetest Magic Of All was.
I also just finished Music For A Merman which was a great story as well. Love the way you write Alice.

Unknown said...

This was a great story, and the comment on desserts cracked me up.
Great blog post!

Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

Alice, you have the best handbags! I love your queen--and her purses and hats, and this did remind me a bit of her. Loved the way you tied the handbag to The Sweetest Magic of All! It was a great story.

Patricia Elliott said...

Your story was very well-done, Alice. I really enjoyed it and that bag was definitely a great opening to talking about your story. I love looking through second hand stores for vintage things, especially old books.

Alice said...

Thank you very much Callie, Ric, Suzanne, Gibby Dee and Patricia for commenting!