Thursday, May 28, 2020

Handbag and Book: Episode 3, Confessions of a Supercleaner tackles mopping #cartoons #COVID19 #summerreading #housecleaning

Like a lot of you, I have been sitting at home. Looking around, I've seen multiple ignored projects I need to tackle. With nowhere to go, I decided to get busy. I also decided I wouldn't bust my a** over this. To take my time and see how it goes. With breaks of HGTV and chocolate.

I came from an old-school cleaning mom. Every Saturday before we could watch cartoons,
my sisters and I sprayed polish on a clean rag and dusted EVERYTHING  (I wish Mom would have watched cartoons with us. As a mom, I made sure I did with my boys. I raised them on Bugs Bunny, Indiana Jones, and Star Wars. The truth is they are terrible cleaners and are big movie lovers). Later, I found Mom dusted during the week. A little overkill maybe? Definitely, torturous. 

We had to vacuum too. Since my sister and I shared a bedroom, one dusted and the other vacuumed. Then we moved to other rooms in the house, hoping we could finish by the time Bugs Bunny came on.

In my adult life, I continued to clean in Mom's manner, just like most of you may have. In this day and age, consumers have many choices when it comes to cleaning. Technology has infiltrated the modern home. During SIP, I no longer want to wring mops. I no longer want to dust with furniture polish. I became a convert to Swiffer.


I have been using Swiffer dust and floor cloths for a while. I like the way they work. I dust from the top of a room down, being sure to hit all outlets, switches, furniture, and pictures.


But I hadn't used a wet-jet. I bought one, and oh boy, what planet have I been on. With a press of a button, cleaner sprays on the floor. I coast over the wet area with a Swiffer mop cloth. No touching anything icky. No toting buckets of water. 


If this new cleaning method I've embraced is bad, please don't tell me. 
How about you? Have you found a new trick for cleaning? Are you embracing cleaning? Are you finding time to watch cartoons?

No house cleaning involved when reading a fun book, like Sommerville days. All required is a pitcher of lemonade, a comfy chair, and yes.....



Love blossoms in the small town of Sommerville in these heartwarming tales, filled with fun and forever possibilities.

Raving Beauty: What if the love of your life was in front of you all along?
Store Wars: The competition is heating up when Janie's old flame returns to town and is running his family's store. Could following dreams break her heart?
San Diego or Bust: When a young woman plans a romantic getaway with her boyfriend, disaster strikes. Is her Mr. Right the right Mr. Right?
Find Sommerville days at: Amazon & KU

4 comments:

Marsha said...

Fun post, Vicki. I confess to not being much of a cleaner. I've still got my housekeeper coming in every two weeks, and I pay her a bit more because many of her clients aren't having her. We leave the house when she comes in. In between times, I clean, way more than before with wiping down all the pulls, knobs, and light switches. It's awfully easy for me to fall into a hypervigilant mode with this kind of thing. I can become obsessive. I do "plan" to do major clean out and throw out after I've sent my next book to the Beta Readers. I'll take a break from TAINTED. After the book is sent to editor, I plan to tackle the mess of files on my computer! Do not look forward to that task, but I know it will make my searches faster in the future. I've shared. :)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Marsha and thanks for commenting today. We opted for no housekeeper, but your idea of leaving the house sounds like a good plan and wish I had thought of it. I am probably obsessive about dusting. I want it easy!

Donnell Ann Bell said...

Vicki, Saturdays were our cleaning day. We kids all drew for which rooms we were in charge of, and our mother, a registered nurse, came in like she was disinfecting on medical floor ;)

Our mothers would have been great friends! Hope the moths have disappeared. Another friend called today complaining! xo

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Donnell! Yup, Saturday. No sleeping late. Not cartoons until cleaned. She was tough. I remember the next door neighbor saying something about how my mom did it all. She did.

The moths died down after a cold snap blew in. I'm guessing they might return when warmer. Just icky to find so many in the house. I know Handsome was tired of me yelling "close the door." ox