Thursday, July 09, 2020

Handbag and Book: Meet the Adora-poos #familypet #maltipoo #dogs

Ten years ago, Handsome brought home these guys:


Yup, they are pretty adorable malti-poos, part Maltese and part Poodle. That's why I call them the Adora-poos. The smokey gray one is Jones, as in Indiana Jones. And the white one is smaller and often mistaken for a girl. He's Champ because he's our alpha. Jones rolls in around twenty-three pounds and Champ at nineteen. 


I knew we were adopting dogs when Handsome began researching and talking to me about various breeds. Maltipoos:

don't shed
are easy going
are easy to train
are smart

They can:
sit
stay
shake hands
rollover
leave it

But they know other things like laydown, or if I point to the back seat, they move off the console. 

Jones loves to run-run-run around and Champ barks to egg him on. I say they are silly dogs, not show dogs.

BUT, ten years later, we're having changes. Jones has developed four lipomas, all non-cancerous. The vet is watching for growth.

Champ has trouble with a shoulder joint and sometimes limps. If only he wouldn't fly off furniture. Sigh.

Watching their changes has been hard this week. 

Do you have elderly furry friends?



3 comments:

Melissa Keir said...

They are adorable. We lost our Calleigh a year and a half ago. She was a Bichon-poo and had spine issues. Our little Griss is getting up there as well. But man do they jump off the furniture! It's like they are flying!

Our furbabies are our lives and when they go, they do leave imprints on our hearts. Sending prayers!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Thanks, Melissa, for sharing your love about your poo. Champ loves to fly off furniture. We would cringe. But now, he's thinking about jumping. He stares at the ground. I swoop in and deposit him on the floor.

Our love for furbabies is a hunk of our heart. I've lost several and cried. Watching these two age has been interesting. Hugs for you!

Pat Amsden said...

They are adorable. I have a Maltese and he's just three years old so I'm not going through the hard stage yet. He's more mature but I gave him a bath and took him for an off-leash walk today,where he ran into the mud as soon as he could see it. And laughed at me when I pulled him out. He's also taken to flying leaps onto the bed so I can totally see your Champ leaping off the furniture. I really hope the lumps turn out to be benign and Champ has someone around to assist him in his jumps before he has a chance to stop thinking about them.

Our fur babies take a huge part of our hearts so I hope yours are around for a long time to come.

Hugs!