Thursday, July 23, 2020

Handbag and Book: What is Vicki carrying now? Summer reading in full swing. Have you tried Sommerville days?

Many years ago, my sister introduced me to Margaret Smith bags. When I visited her, our first shopping stop was the flea market. A woman sold Margaret Smith bags where I bought my first, a tote the size of a briefcase. 

Eventually, eBay and ETSY found me--haha--and I found more bags. I've bought several, many of which I've worn out. 

Yesterday, I carried a lovely bright floral tote. It's an excellent size and holds my stuff easily. The inside lining pocket could be bigger. A good thing to note about fabric bags is how light they are.  The drawback is cleaning and the wear and tear on the bottom corners and handles. 

I visited with a friend and she went ga-ga over my bag. She loved the bright floral fabric and the nifty size. Frankly, I was surprised she liked it so much.






Have you bought a vintage handbag?


Love blossoms in the small town of Sommerville in these heartwarming tales, filled with fun and forever possibilities.

Raving Beauty: What if the love of your life was in front of you all along?
Store Wars: The competition is heating up when Janie's old flame returns to town and is running his family's store. Could following dreams break her heart?
San Diego or Bust: When a young woman plans a romantic getaway with her boyfriend, disaster strikes. Is her Mr. Right the right Mr. Right?
                                                                                                                                                                                                            
                                                                                                                                                                   
Raving Beauty: "I can't believe I let your loony brother, who's tormented me all my life, talk me into this."
With my eye on the teenage competition standing off to one side, I tugged the swimsuit’s leg opening into place to better cover my hip. "Just because I did some modeling in college doesn't make me a pageant diva. Back then, I was incredibly skinny, and clothes fit easily."
               "Daniel is a rat. He took advantage of your third, or was it your fourth, margarita, Kelly?" Maggie Ackerman, my best friend and roommate, adjusted the scarlet satin sash draped across my body. Glittery stick-on letters spelled out Miss Yahoo! Ranch Steakhouse. "Don’t worry. You’re beautiful and will be fine. Now, hold still."
               I watched her pick my brown hair at the crown of my head with an old-fashioned teasing comb. When the eerie suspicion I resembled a scary dame with Big Texas hair from the television show, “Dallas,” I turned my head to avoid the mirror.
               "Close your eyes." She blasted my hair with several short bursts of super freeze-it hairspray. "Now, that ain't goin' nowhere."

Find your days in Sommerville at: KU and Amazon

2 comments:

Marsha said...

Hey, Vicki. You do have great handbags. I've always wondered why you don't call them purses? I've shared. :)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Marsha! I'm not fond of the word purses. To me it sounds old. A purse was like a drawstring bag which held valuables. Eventually, they were sewn into pockets! Thanks for the sharing, Marsha!