Friday, April 17, 2015

.@VickiBatman - doodle doos? poodoos? What kind of dogs are those? #poodles #MFRWorg #RLFblog #dogs

I was raised a cat girl. I love 'em. Mine is now twenty-one years old. However, Handsome was raised with dogs. 

When #1 son was small, Handsome brought home the cutest puppy, a sheepdog. I named him Baxter (although the three year-old next door referred to him as Bastard). LOLOL. The problem with Baxter was he grew and grew and grew, finally weighing in at 150 pounds!!! I kept asking Handsome if he was supposed to get that big. And being so large also meant he was a handful and really, too big for the kiddoes.

Baxter left us when he was twelve. Most big dogs only make it to that age. And several years went by without dogs. Which was fine, we had cats. 

Eventually, Handsome would drop a comment or two or three. He circled ads in newspapers. I found where he had gone looking. Then he finally asked if we could get another dog. I laid down the law about training and care and most importantly--size. We'd discussed beagles because we liked the size and their spunky nature. Then he began telling me about malti-poos, a Maltese and Poodle mix. Poodles are the second smartest dogs (German shepherds are first). They have hair not fur and don't shed. They are pretty good-natured. 

He showed me pictures and I was sold. Coal black eyes and nose. Shaggy short hair. A bobbed tail. I agreed.

Onllllyyyy that wasn't what he came home with. 

Handsome brought home two dogs--a short white one and a taller gray one. He said he watched the white one run everywhere. He was playful and a great size. Then he noticed the gray one by himself, wanting to be in the fun, but acted shy. He couldn't say no. 


I'd been trying out names for a while, but had settled on one because the thought was he would get one dog. So he asked and I said, "Jones," for the gray one. Like Indiana Jones, but no Indy. LOL. The white one had me stumped, but not for long. He's full of might and fun and adorable. I called him Champ. He's the alpha. 

Handsome and I took them to training. Jones loves to run and has caught many a squirrel. Champ likes to play fetch with Squeaky and takes him to bed. 








What kind of pets do you have and what is their name?

Sometimes, pets show up in Vicki's stories. In her romantic comedy mystery, Temporarily Employed, there is a stray cat with a funny name. Find Temporarily Employed at: Amazon

3 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Love pet companions! Our old lady cat is 16, and our young 'un is 4. We have two Lab/mix rescues that are 8. They bring a lot of joy to our lives. Your Champ and Jones are adorable.

Naomi Shaw said...

My mother has a labradoodle called Henry. He is a year old and just adorable. Perfect for her in her latter 70's and not very active, as he is so placid and loveable. He keeps her company

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Lisa! Thank you for sharing about you babies. They give us great joy.

hi, Naomi! Your labradoodle isnt too big? You are right anout being lovable and gentle. We just took ours to the dog park and a man brought a piggie! Thank you for posting