Thursday, June 06, 2019

Book and Bag with #guestauthor Kerry Blaisdell - I Found A Bag! #MFRWauthor #readromance


Weirdly, I found this bag at either Office Depot or OfficeMax (when they were still actually separate stores), in a sale/clearance bin. I had just finished the first draft of DEBRIEFING THE DEAD (the first book in my Dead Series, before WAKING THE DEAD), and as soon as I saw all the skulls, I *had* to have it! It’s not really a “handbag,” obviously - more of a messenger/work bag. Being a teacher, I have a lot of stuff to tote back and forth, so what I tend to do is buy bigger work bags, and smaller purses, which I then tuck inside the work bag, so I fool myself into believing I’m only carrying “one” thing. That weighs a ton, but what the hey!

It’s really roomy inside, with a few choice interior pockets that are about the size of a Kindle or small iPad, which I like. Simple. If a bag has too many pockets, it drives me nuts, trying to remember where everything is. But the downside is I have to have a pouch for small things, like writing utensils, sticky notes, snacks, etc.

The other down side to this bag is the flap. Believe it or not, I’m so pressed for time most days that having to lift the flap to get inside (as opposed to pulling a zipper, or just having the bag open at the top all the time) can be quite annoying. But I still love this bag, so I’ve kept it, and use it as a travel bag for short trips, or a carryon if I’m flying.


Hyacinth always assumed dying would simplify her life. But when her new boss, Archangel Michael, sends her on her first official mission—to retrieve a powerful rock from a collector in Germany—things go downhill fast. For one thing, the Dead keep popping up, expecting her to guide them to the Afterlife. For another, her part-demon nephew Geordi’s powers are starting to leak out, at age seven. What if Michael finds out about him? Worse, what if Satan does?
Then there’s her love life-after-death. Rooming with a dead French cop no one else can see is complicated enough. But when Jason, Geordi’s lying Dioguardi Demon cousin, resurrects himself—so to speak—all Hell breaks loose. Literally. Can Hyacinth get Michael’s rock back before Satan steals its powers and breaks free of his prison? Or will her single-minded pursuit put those she loves—and the rest of the world—in the path of Satan’s fury?

More about Kerry Blaisdell: Kerry Blaisdell is the award-winning author of The Dead Series, including RITA®-nominated DEBRIEFING THE DEAD (Book One) and WAKING THE DEAD (Book Two). Kerry was born in Vancouver, B.C., and has since lived all over the West Coast of North America, including California, Oregon, Washington and Alaska—everywhere except Mexico! She’s a “computer industry” brat, not a military one, but moving so frequently meant she spent a lot of time reading and later, writing. She has a degree in Comparative Literature from U.C. Berkeley, and a Master’s in Teaching English and Mathematics from the University of Portland. She currently lives in the gorgeous Pacific Northwest with her husband, two quasi-adult “kids”, assorted cats and dogs, and more hot pepper plants than anyone could reasonably consume.



Red, White or Blue? Red  ;)

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter? Summer - I’m a teacher, so, duh.  :)  But season-wise, I love all four - seriously, I couldn’t pick just one. 

Chocolate pudding, cake, pie? Most of the time fruit pie, but I do love a good chocolate cake/cupcake!

Coffee, Tea, Champagne? Coffee (especially hot or iced lattes) and tea (in the warmer months, I live off of iced tea - yum!). At dinner, I like a nice Pinot Gris/Grigio, or a Sauvignon Blanc.

Country music or Michael Buble? If those are my only two choices, Country. Which I do actually like, I just don’t listen to it as much as I used to. Mostly now I listen to audiobooks in the car, or one of my random Google playlists that have an eclectic mix of all genres on them. Not unlike my books…. LOL! 

Pencil or Pen? Depends on the purpose. I’m a math teacher, so I love me a good mechanical pencil. But for other uses, flare pens are my favorite, or a nice ballpoint.



Find WAKING THE DEAD at: Vendor

Find Kerry Blaisdell at: Website

14 comments:

D. V. STONE said...

Love it! I'm always in search of the perfect bag. The closest I found was a sewing tote from AC Moore for $15.
Best of luck with your books🦉

Kerry Blaisdell said...

Don't you love when you find something cheap, but wonderful, at an odd place?? Serendipity!!

CB Clark said...

Love your bag! As a fellow teacher, I know how important it is to find that special bag to tote all the work back and forth every day. And we do like to be organized. Thanks for sharing.

Kerry Blaisdell said...

Thanks, CB! :) I'm *so* not a fashionista, or "typical" girly-girl. But I do have an inordinate amount of purses, wallets-on-a-string, handbags, mini-backpacks, work bags.... And shoes. LOTS of shoes. ;)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Kerry! And welcome to HBW. I'm so sorry I'm late to the purse party. I've had a major water leak and am spending time with adjusters and clean up people. Looks like a new bathroom in my future.

And BTW, a very colorful bag!

Kerry Blaisdell said...

Thank you for having me! And I'm so sorry you're having plumbing issues!! I'm "just" dealing with rowdy 8th graders who are DONE with middle school, even if we're not done with them yet. ;) Hope it all gets worked out soon!

N. N. Light said...

I love your bag, Kerry! It's just so you, with all the skulls on it.

I'm amazed at all the cool things at office supply stores.

Good luck with your new release.

Kerry Blaisdell said...

Inorite?? Paper products - organizational tools - snacks - work bags - what more could a gal want?? :) Thank you, and thanks for dropping by!

Karilyn Bentley said...

Love the bag Kerry! And I'm enjoying the book too! Best wishes for many sales!

Marin Black said...

I just found the perfect bag tonight! Ebay :) Good luck with your book!

Stacy McKitrick said...

That bag looks awesome! I never thought about carrying a big bag with a smaller purse inside. I'm always transferring stuff from one to another, but if I could just take the small purse out... Now I just have to find a big bag like that one! :D

Your books sound interesting (and I'm looking to stock up my Nook for an upcoming cruise). There are no cliff hangers are there? Please say no!

Kerry Blaisdell said...

Karilyn - that means a lot to me. Thank you so much!! :)

Kerry Blaisdell said...

Marin - eBay is a great place to find unique stuff that fits your personal vibe! I like Goodwill or Value Village for the same reason. :)

Kerry Blaisdell said...

Stacy - I can't lie to you. *spoiler alert to anyone else reading this comment - see below if you want to keep reading... ;) *





The second book ends on something of a cliffhanger. BUT, so far I've had several reviews that said essentially "I usually hate cliffhangers, except in these books." I don't know if that helps, and I totally understand if it's too much. That said...

The first book obviously leaves some loose ends, but it's not really a cliffhanger. If you don't mind the suggestion, you might try the first book (Debriefing the Dead). *IF* you enjoy it enough to want to read the second, then you could make the decision about the second. If, OTOH, you aren't drawn in by the first book, then the decision is easy. :)

Also, I am finishing up the third book this summer. Based on the speed of my publisher, it could be out anywhere from early next year to May (which is when the first two released), if that helps at all. :)

Either way, thanks for stopping by! :)